1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doing a book week on Handas Surprise Y1, any cross curricular ideas please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by the herring, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Can do anything, no matter how tenious-ideas so far are: fruit salad, data handling of fav. fruits, still life drawings, paintings, colourful t shirt designs/prints, making a basket for Handa to carry fruit in, an alternative written end-ANY MORE PLEASE.....

2. Can do anything, no matter how tenious-ideas so far are: fruit salad, data handling of fav. fruits, still life drawings, paintings, colourful t shirt designs/prints, making a basket for Handa to carry fruit in, an alternative written end-ANY MORE PLEASE.....

3. Links with geogrpahy/ICT
    Pose simple questions to develop the children?s awareness of different elements of the story setting, including the people, landscape and climate (e.g. is it a hot or cold country?) Explain that the story is set in a village in south-west Kenya, locate Kenya on a map. The children featured in this book are from the Lup tribe of south-west Kenya. Talk about being part of a tribe and explain what this means.
    Write some questions to find out more information about the type of place that Handa lives in (e.g. do the children go to school?) Model writing several questions, reminding the children that the questions need to be demarcated by question marks. Help the children use simple non-fiction texts and the internet to answer their questions about the settings.

4. brilliant, thnaks.

5. Links with PSHE
    Is Handa a good friend to Akeyo? Look for evidence of this (e.g. getting the fruit for her). Would children like Handa to be their friend? Why? List the qualities that make her a good friend. Get the children to share their own experiences of friendship and the qualities that make a good friend. Create a circle time ? a good friend is someone who?

Design and make an animal mask

6. hiya

i did my book week on handas surprise a few weeks ago - i am in mixed year1/2. leave me your address and i shall send it you

love vicky xx

7. please ,please could I have a copy as I have to same after half term and am at a loss at the moment.Many thanks.
    margaretmbhodge@aol.com

8. check your emails guys
    love vicky xx

9. When i was in year 2 i did dnace unit based on Handas surprise. I think it was from the LCP scheme of work cause i just had to adapt it to my class. It had the children moving like the naimals in the sotry- miming carrying the fruit etc- but there was a CD with music that went iwht it to really get them thinking.

10. the herring - you have mail. Have fun!!

11. Please could I have a copy of your plan

Thanks in advance

lsboswell6266@yahoo.co.uk

12. I am a student struggling with how to do a scheme of work. I have cross curricular links to Numeracy, Geography, PHSE etv, but would love a copy of your resources please!

Thanks

Vicky

13. Scholastic do a Read & Respond on Handa's Surprise - and I think you can buy it with a CD-ROM as well.