1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doha, UAE, Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mrjack, Sep 9, 2019.

1. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

How do these places compare ? I have a fair idea about the U.A.E and Dubai but don't know so much about Doha.
    Can anyone enlighten me please ?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

On this TES forum there is a very fat and smelly hippopotamus who was teaching in Doha for five years. Perhaps you should send this ancient and stinky beast a TES Conversation, mrjack.

pandorasbox29 likes this.
  3. pandorasbox29

pandorasbox29 New commenter

hello Mr Hippo,
    Can I also get some advice on these countries. I have messaged you.
    Thanks.

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

UAE gets my vote as it is a large diverse country, Doha is just a parking lot in comparison.

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I've had two friends who have worked in Doha. Neither of them had any serious complaints but nor did they stay beyond their 2 years. Apparently, if you can get a good school there you can have a nice couple of years but very few people stay long term

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, pandorasbox29, I have sent you my e-mail address and my SKYPE username. My blog is called bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com and really it is about China and Bulgaria, but there are a few bits and pieces about the ME as well.

febbers, in some ways Dubai and Doha are not so very different, but I take your point that the UAE does give you more options. The most important option is of course OMAN, my favourite country in the ME. Another major drawback with Doha is the crazy construction that is going on everywhere, in preparation for the World Cup.

7. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Have been in Doha for the past 8 years. Don't listen to those who say many don't stay for too long. Noone can pin point which destination (littered with for profit schools) have the least expat turn overs.

True, there are difficult schools but then again that's not new, the world has its 'good', 'bad,' and 'terrible' schools. In 'good' schools, people do renew and stay. Their tenure can are between 4 - 18 years and counting.

If you have specifics do PM for upto an date and accurate information.

abikuwait likes this.