1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doha schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by englishfamily, Mar 9, 2016.

1. englishfamily

englishfamily New commenter

Hi All

I was looking for some up to date advice from teachers that have recently taught or are currently teaching at schools in Doha. Rules of this forum will mean that you will have to start a conversation with me. Your help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

2. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

There's lots on this overseas teaching forum. I've found loads of useful info from many regular posters on here. Just search Qatar. Good luck.

3. abuameer90

abuameer90 New commenter

Hi englishfamily.

I taught in an international school in Doha for the last academic year and would still have been there, had it not been for personal circumstances. I'm happy for you to PM me, but I would say that Doha is a good place to start an international teaching career - there's a huge cache of expat teachers there and the salaries/accommodation that my school paid were good...although I did hear of some horror stories.

The Qatari government is going through a process of Qatarisation, meaning lots of jobs currently taken by expats will be given to local people. Additionally, the oil price crash means that a lot of the funding that was sloshing around the city last year is drying up - contracts are being terminated, so are good salaries and impressive housing...but anywhere in the GCC right now is the same, as they're economies predicated on a fixed, getting-cheaper-by-the-day resource.

By all means give it a go, but it will seem alien and exclusive at first. A safe place for a family to go (low levels of crime and harrassment of women), but not if you enjoy free movement of labour, a glass of God's great gift of alcohol and getting in and out of the country easily.

Good luck!