1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doha or UAE? Thoughts please....

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ckelley12, Apr 1, 2019.

?

Where’s best to teach with a young family?

1. Doha, Qatar

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. UAE

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. ckelley12

ckelley12 New commenter

Hi All,

Been offered a job in Doha, but had thoughts of the UAE originally. Now not sure what to do.

We have 2 young children, and a husband not in teaching...

What’s everyone’s experiences in these place? What would you recommend more?

Thank in advance,

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would check to see if the package includes flights for you and your dependents as the cost of airline tickets is high due to the blockade of Qatar by its neighbors.

Also cost of living is high now so don't expect one salary to go far with a family of 4.

3. synetos

synetos New commenter

Behaviour wise, you are more likely to get a better school in the UAE as they are more international mix of students. You may be told that your school in Doha is an International school - believe me they're not.

Lifestyle for family with children - UAE all day long. Doha is pretty much still a construction site at the moment and traffic is horrendous and dangerous also - without a doubt it is one of the biggest things I hate about the place. You cannot get around anywhere in Doha without a car - there is no footpaths for prams in 95% of the city - so if you do want to go for a stroll its a case of driving to a park and back home again.

Cost of living has rocketed in Doha because of the blockade - can't comment on current prices in UAE.
    If you want a drink then be prepared to pay anywhere upward of £15 a pint in bars and £50 for a crate of beer in the only off license here.

On the upside - petrol is still fairly cheap (40p a litre) but has doubled since I've been here. The lifestyle in Doha is more traditional arabic where UAE (Dubai mainly) have lost their culture somewhat. Both places are very very safe places to live (unless they go to war with each other because of the blockade) and of course the World Cup will be here in Qatar in a few Years time.

4. zara89

zara89 New commenter

I am in exactly the same position! I posted the exact same question!

Just with the one baby though. What have you decided? :)

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Doha or Dubai? Qatar or the UAE? Well, they are much the same, only different. In many ways, the two countries are not so very different. What really counts, of course, is your school. There are good and bad schools in both places, I would say. And you can read all about the awful ones in the ISR, if you have a strong stomach.

6. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Doesn't matter where you go. It depends on the school you are going to. Doha has some very good schools.

Ask what is included in the package. There should be tuition for 2 kids. They may ask you to pay registration fees which is usually under £800 each.

Non teaching partner could get a job as TA but won't get paid much. Ask the school if they will give a job. If kids are under school age then it's best they stay home instead of paying shed loads for a maid.

Doha would not be a good choice if you have to pay for flights of family members. It's £2200 for ONE way flights for 2 adults and 2 kids with QA.