1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doha - dress code & lifestyle

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by galwaygirl1301, Mar 23, 2019.

1. galwaygirl1301

galwaygirl1301 New commenter

Anyone got experience in Doha, what are the dress code rules like? I'm aware of the expected wear but us it strict? And the lifestyle out of school, drinking and going out? Can you dress as UK would on a night out or still strict rules?

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

The rules are in placed but more strictly in malls and even then it depends on the day/time, I have heard of the "fashion police" but I have only experienced Qatari women who have either quietly or loudly spoken to the "offender". So I would not be walking around in short shorts although I have seen a few.

The lifestyle is what you make it, get drunk every weekend why not but just be aware that you could still upset someone but again I have seen enough drunks and nothing has happened. As for a night out you could wear those short shorts. Most events are at hotels and they tend to be fine with it but if you are going anywhere else I would be mindful.

galwaygirl1301 likes this.
  3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Just be mindful of where you are going. Souk Waqif is more conservative than a mall, and malls are more conservative than the golf club, which is more conservative than the rugby club, and night clubs are the least conservative.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Some very good advice has already been given.

As a general rule, what is acceptable in a "private" venue is often not acceptable in public. Err on the side of caution and you will be fine. Yes, of course there are far more expats than there are Qataris, but please remember that it is the Qataris who make and enforce the laws. (And please do not be so foolish as to expect the British Embassy to do anything vaguely helpful if you do break the laws.)

It is simply good manners and common courtesy not to give offence to your hosts, wherever you are in the world. You may not be a Muslim and in fact you may have no religious beliefs at all, but please understand that most Muslims find any public display of nudity or drunkenness deeply offensive.

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The most important consideration should be the economic blockade of Qatar by its neighbors. This is causing a considerable increase in the living costs especially for poorly paid expat teachers.

bec_payne likes this.
  6. fullblownattack63

fullblownattack63 New commenter

If you are into the weekend brunches you will find it to be mainly white Westerners with partygoers wearing the same clothes as you would wear on a night out (ie. dressed to impress!) Same applies to the clubs on a weekend.

I've had 2 wardrobe issues since being here, both times going to a mall in a t-shirt/shorts to a shopping mall that had a Mosque in the middle of it. I wasn't allowed in, and I thought "fair enough". The malls can be quite conservative so you should cover your upper arms/shoulders, chest and knees.

7. synetos

synetos New commenter

The lifestyle is as you make it - you can drink as much or as little as you like, but at £10 a pint its not exactly cheap. Even the off license is £40 to £50 for a crate of 20 beers and around £15 to £50 a bottle for wine.

Dress code - you can glam up as much as you want in the hotels and bars - just don't get caught walking around other places like it - which means taxi from place to place - there is no "Pub crawl" like the UK - bars are in hotels that are miles apart.

Other lifestyle options include the beach, spas, gyms, cinema and plenty of shopping but if I were you Id be more worried about the awful schools here, and enquiring about your workplace.

8. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Agreed with synetos. Better brush up on your behavior management skills because no CPD workshop in THE planet can prepare you for the wonderful world you are about to embark on.

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Mrs Hippo visited some friends in Qatar not so long ago and she was horrified by the way that prices have gone up. (Well, I daresay that might apply to one or two other places around the world.)

Yes, synetos makes a very valid point. Some of the schools in Doha are a recipe for disaster, especially when Qatari parents and the SEC are the main ingredients.

Prices at the QDC used to be quite reasonable, but maybe that just shows how completely out of touch I have become!

10. synetos

synetos New commenter

About two months ago they decided to hike up the prices with 100 % tax without telling anyone. A year ago they also decided that you now also have to pay a monthly fee just to be able to shop at the QDC. The only thing that is cheap here now is the petrol - everything else has gone ridiculous, especially since the blockade.

bec_payne likes this.
  11. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

You have to be careful how you dress. It's a Muslim country so if you expect to live like a westerners then it is out of the norm and expensive. For a western lifestyle, best to go to another country. If you can adapt then you will do well here.

If you are coming to save then you will realise that alcohol may be out of your reach. As other have mentioned, it is very expensive.

Dressing at the work place would be similar to UK but body parts have to remain covered, even legs.