1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doha and child meds/counselling/psychiatrist

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by UKMomof3, Mar 11, 2018.

1. UKMomof3

UKMomof3 New commenter

Hi does anyone know about the ease (or not) of accessing ADHD meds like Ritalin / Concerta etc in Doha? And child counselling? I already have diagnosis/ ED psych reports and prescription history from the UK for my child.

In our previous posting in SEA, I had to fly out with my child monthly to get the counselling and meds renewed. A very stressful few years!

On the same note does anyone know if the top British schools or the top American one have provisions for IN/SEN?
    I’d appreciate any insight including via conversations as I know you can’t name schools here! The child I need these for will likely be heading into Y6 by the time we move. Or maybe Y5 if it’s earlier ! TIA

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

HI,
    Ours does have some form of provisions both in learning support/counsellors and a psychologist we are an K - 12 American school.

3. UKMomof3

UKMomof3 New commenter

Ok good to know. My plan is to call and ask specifically what they all have in place once our move is confirmed. Can I assume you’re talking about the bigger more expensive American school?

4. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

yes

5. UKMomof3

UKMomof3 New commenter

Thanks. Definitely on my short list for schools

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I am a little confused. From what i have read, and my understanding of what you have wrote, you have had an interview, you are waiting for confirmation of the job, but yet you have not mentioned to the school that your child has ADHA that requires medication. Am i getting this right?

7. UKMomof3

UKMomof3 New commenter

Hi there
    No I hadn’t disclosed our exact situation. I am a teacher yes but we are looking to move (very early stages yet) with my husband’s company. This is all part of our pre-move research. As for any school I am under no obligation to state whether she is medicated or not etc. She has no issues and is a model student except for requiring additional support with one core subject. Obviously because I DO want this support, I will disclose her learning needs to the school and one of the things I’m asking on this forum is which schools provide good IN/SEN with a proper department and resources allocated to it.

What I’m also looking to find out is whether medication is available in Doha. This has nothing to do with schools.