1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dog/puppy advice please (basset hound)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dominant_tonic, Jun 18, 2011.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I have just moved back in with my parents for a few months after a yearaway. They have a 13 month old basset hound, who is nicely toilet trained - apart from when she sees me! Initially we thought it was the excitement of a new person in the household - she is a very excitable wee doggy, but I have been back a month now.
    It is also very instant! Eg., yesterday, when she came in from the kitchen to the front room, she hurtled in through the door, saw me on the settee, jumped up onto it, urinated everywhere (including over my new CDs which were next to me), then jumped down again. All this is in the space of 20 seconds maybe.
    If anyone has any advice, I will gladly take it.
    Thanks

2. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I have just moved back in with my parents for a few months after a yearaway. They have a 13 month old basset hound, who is nicely toilet trained - apart from when she sees me! Initially we thought it was the excitement of a new person in the household - she is a very excitable wee doggy, but I have been back a month now.
    It is also very instant! Eg., yesterday, when she came in from the kitchen to the front room, she hurtled in through the door, saw me on the settee, jumped up onto it, urinated everywhere (including over my new CDs which were next to me), then jumped down again. All this is in the space of 20 seconds maybe.
    If anyone has any advice, I will gladly take it.
    Thanks

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

She must be marking you as her territory. Squirm around in the pee and let it ripen. She will then know you belong and will probably only mark you as hers once every few days after that.

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I have no idea really, you need doglover for this one.

5. Basset hounds are cute, but a bit whacky. My boss has one. The dog will never bark unless someone has been invited over for a meal and then she barks, barks, barks.
    I would suggest that she is not there when you arrive - introduce her slowly to you each day, to avoid her becoming overexcited. Or if possible, when you get there, say hello to her in the garden, rather than in the house!
    It is a sign of love (as is the barking) - but an annoying one.

6. Excitability coupled with submissiveness would be my guess. Many young dogs will wee when they meet and greet - in a way, your pup is signalling that she recognises your superiority. there are a couple of things you could do that might help (eventually) - don't be cross, this only makes things worse, and keep your greetings very low key, don't make eye contact and greet calmly on your terms.
    Ignoring pup when you come home or enter a room will eventually teach her that you're really not that exciting, and she will then be in a much calmer frame of mind.

7. Go straight in the front door and, dropping your bags on route, head straight through and out of the back door do not speak to the dog until you are in the garden and doggy can widdle at will.
    You might say "No" firmly as you proceed through changing it to "now ya can" when you get into the great outdoors.
    Eventually doggy might respond to the word "no" and take himself out in which case it all gets less urgent.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

dog nappy