1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dog advice please....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4561, Jul 26, 2011.

1. My male dog has not been de-sexed, and at this stage of his life, it might not make much difference anyway. There is a female dog on heat about a 10 minute walk from here..... my dug has already managed to escape once, and now that we're keeping a close eye on him, he is whimpering and whining constantly...... it is quite heart-breaking!! He won't eat either.... this happened last year and lasted for a 2-3 weeks........ is there anything I can do?

2. My male dog has not been de-sexed, and at this stage of his life, it might not make much difference anyway. There is a female dog on heat about a 10 minute walk from here..... my dug has already managed to escape once, and now that we're keeping a close eye on him, he is whimpering and whining constantly...... it is quite heart-breaking!! He won't eat either.... this happened last year and lasted for a 2-3 weeks........ is there anything I can do?

3. Get him some doggy **** and a six pack of Castlemaine. He'll wear himself out by morning.

4. ROFL! You're wanted in your bar..........

5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I know someone who got their randy boy cat his own soft toy and shut him in the greenhouse.......

6. Is that why he completely decimated and killed his new soft toy I bought him last week... in two minutes there was stuffing all over the floor! (it was a toy sheep.... bit of a worry really.....)

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Yes. I'm sorry to say he probably killed it with "love". Buy him a sturdier thing-even a fluffy cushion (!) (good god, I'm an expert in sex aids for animals...) and then give him some private time. Good luck!

8. Don't be silly. Just have him snipped. It won't entirely stop the behaviour but it'll stop some of the stress and frustration.

9. Our little guy is having it done RIGHT NOW, as I type. Really worried in case it's the wrong thing to do, but he has started to misbehave a bit as if he is answering to someone above us, and I think it's his masculine urges! He is 8 months old, until about 3 weeks ago he always came immediately when we called, whatever he was doing, whatever dogs he was playing with. Now he doesn't. It's like suddenly he is a teenaged boy who knows better, he can be quite nearby, certainly within hearing distance, but he has his nose to the ground and he is trotting along completely ignoring us calling him. And I have heard of dogs who chew, claw and climb their way out of any gate, fence or door to get to a <female dog> on heat.
    So, much as we dread the risk of changing any part of his sweet personality, and hate the fact of him having surgery when he's not ill, and feel sad at how he was shaking as we left him at the vets this morning, I still think it is the best for his ongoing safety and peace of mind (his and ours) in the long run.
    (Can you tell I'm still trying to convince myself!?)

10. He'll be fine. I'm not sure that it'll cure the behaviour though - it sounds as though he's just got a bit more confidence in being away from you. He can see you're there so he feels secure enough to carry on with whatever he's doing. You should work hard now with lots of positive training to make sure recall is automatic. I'm not saying that to be smug - it's something I didn't do enough with my own dog when he was young and I really regret it.

11. I've had dogs for a long time but they've always been girls. Untill 2 years ago when I got my little boy. Like all my dogs, he is a rescue dog and has had an abusive past. I think he was around 4 when I had him.
    He had been done before I had him so I have no idea at what age that was. However, he is perfectly happy, cuddly and enjoying his life. There are less health risks for him and he seems at peace apart from if I'm unwell or stressed.
    I've always had my dogs neutered because there are so many unwanted dogs out there and it's part of the agreement of having them as rescue dogs. My first little girl still had milk on her as she seemed to have been thrown out when she was pregnant. She was independent and stubborn at times but the one time she came in to heat she was so frustrated and her behaviour changed drastically. I waited until the recommended time and she was neutered and never had to suffer that frustration again. Both the girls I have had neutered recovered very quickly, within days and that hardest part was getting them to take it easy.
    Hope your little boys do well, especially the little lad that as we speak is going in to a new era of his life, which he will thoroughly enjoy.
    As for me, the little blessings want to go play in a pond so wet dog aroma about to happen.

12. Thanks again everyone.... i spoke to the vet yesterday, and have decided that this is for the best. Vet will be away next week so Scabs has a week's reprieve..... OH is completely disgusted and is having nothing to do with it..... guess I'll be forking out the $200 by myself! Hope the dug forgives me.........

13. My advice would be to send OH to stay somewhere for 2 days starting when you pick him up. Our little guy was so miserable, he just stood around with his head and his tail (he's a Kerry so usually carries it up and curled over) hanging down. He had it done on Tuesday and on Tues evening he was so sad, my OH and I both hated everyone who'd ever told us it was a good idea!!
    Wed morning he was also sad and sore (when we took him for walks it was like he was trying to run away from pain at his back end, he scuttled along with his tail between his legs and his hindquarters tucked under), but by Wed evening he was interested in his toys etc, and by Thurs am he was right as rain except for wanting to lick his stitches, which he is not allowed to do.
    Speaking of which, there is also the EVIL buster collar, which we only put on him at night (the rest of the time we just sit with him and watch him) which also reduces him to utter despair. We shelled out &pound;20 for a "Comfy Cone", too (soft fabric one) (and it's not a cone, it's a frustum, but anyway) but he hates it and cries at night when he is wearing it.
    We keep reminding ourselves, it is for his own long term health, safety and peace of mind.

14. Thanks Rusty..... OH is still strongly objecting. i have listed the pros.... will stop the dog going through this abject misery, will stop him running away, the health benefits, and stop him being so aggressive/territorial to our male visitors.... OH"s response? "It's not NATURAL" .... this from the man who's had a vasectomy!!!!!! He admits he's just 'squeamish" about the idea.....

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Our dogs have been done and we have never had this issue with females on heat.
    They are both from the dog rescue, one had already been done when we adopted him. We had to have the other done as a condition of taking him. He was still in the rescue kennels when the op was done and had a sorry for himself couple of days. Next time we saw him 3 days later he was absolutely fine.
    I am not aware of any negatives (apart from one having a tendancy to hump male dogs but he may have done that anyway!) and would always have dog "done". Life as a domesticated pooch is unnatural in so many ways anyway, what's one more?

16. Our dog got done within a week of us getting him - apart from him looking most upset when he stuck his head down there for a good slobbery lick and finding his assets were missing - no ill effects whatsoever. We had to go back a couple of times for checkups on him as his sack wasn't, ahem, "deflating" the way they like it to and they wanted to make sure he didn't have an infection or fluid buildup in there - but it was just the way of the world that he ended up with a wobbly one remaining apparently. Personality wise it changed him slightly in that he became much more food-focused but he's still a wondefully easy-going, calm, placid comedian.
    The girl we just have has JUST been done aged 7 - but a bit more of an unusual background on that one as she's an ex-racing greyhound and was only speyed going into the rehoming process and she raced to a slightly older age than many hounds (she clocked up 109 races) so was much later hitting retirement and rehoming.
    Both are currently zonked out on the carpet legs up in the air in various comedy positions.

17. Thanks again.... OH still being squeamish.... but won't (can't!) actually put his foot down..... OH is going away in a few weeks time, so I think I'll get it done then, when the immediate after-effects won't be so obvious.... I do however think that he's coming around to the idea.... after another afternoon/evening of whimpering and whining, I heard OH say in exasperation (he thought I was out of earshot) "I'll cut your balls off myself!" LOL! [​IMG]