1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does your subject suffer for other subjects to progress?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by cat_girl_1984, Feb 4, 2016.

1. cat_girl_1984

cat_girl_1984 New commenter

I teach an option subject at GCSE. There is not a lesson that goes by that students are not pulled out of my class to complete work, go on trips or do enrichments for other subjects. This has been continuous since September. Out of this week and next I have a student missing 4 out of 6 of my lessons, that's just one example. My students are not going to have covered all of the content on their GCSE because of it and I've not a clue when they will complete their controlled assessments because I cannot rely on having them in class to do them. We're supposed to get notice however we often don't. In addition to this it's not recorded as such in the register. I mark them absent and then when I go back in later they're marked in as being present in my class. I don't have the permissions to alter this to a code to indicate that they were in school but not in class. They're making it look like the students have been in all my lessons. There's been mention of a possible drop down day for my classes but A) it's been going on all year, they've all missed different topics (and until recently I haven't recorded which topics each student has missed) how can I reteach the course in a day? B) that just means they're missing other subjects C) this will means pulling me out of my A Level classes and so damages them!

2. cat_girl_1984

Actually it's 4/5 not out of 6 come to think about it as we aren't in next Friday.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Document it carefully and methodically - spreadsheet or something. Then take it up in a planned meeting with someone further up the chain. Once you've done so, document what was said and send that on paper to the someone and copy it up the food chain if you think it's needed.

annab1984 likes this.
  4. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

cat_girl_1984 likes this.
  5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I know what you mean @cat_girl_1984. Students used to be coming and going, in and out of lessons for all the reasons you mentioned: enrichment, 1-2-1, etc. I got to the point at which, even if all the students turned up to class, some would have missed some part of the lesson. Most galling of all were students being taken out of my lesson to catch up on coursework for other subjects, and missing AS lessons to prepare for retakes of their GCSEs.

6. mr-vicsdowvs

mr-vicsdowvs New commenter

This is an issue in many schools and it stems from poor direction. SLT are responsible for cohesion, working as a team, and ultimately, the direction of the school. If HOD's/HOF's are telling their colleagues their subject is more important than others, and they have the backing to stop kids attending other subjects, then this is has come from nowhere other than SLT. It's this kind of leadership which undermines us as teachers, and our subjects, which is why the government are so hell bent on awarding some subjects more merit than others. But I suppose this mentality has developed over a long time because of our mates, OFSTED. Okay, I'm off to the jobs section now.

7. cat_girl_1984

Thank you for your replies people. I have started to keep a spreadsheet, I really wish I had done this since September, and going forward as a teacher it is something I will always do now. As it happens I am leaving my current school at Easter, so I am really trying not to let it annoy me anymore!

m-crane likes this.
  8. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

To be fair though it will happen at your next school too. My subject (MFL) was constantly hit at my old school for English and Maths, which I understand are super important but when you have the same high grade targets to meet it is frustrating.

What bothered me the most was the fact that English and Maths already had 8 lessons a fortnight each compared to the 4 in MFL and STILL pulled kids out regularly, plus had an after school session each week timetabled in. I had to make do with putting on extra sessions after school but competing with other subjects and at lunchtimes just to make sure some students did their CAs. And resits? Well, they all had to be in my own time after school or at lunch whereas the core two got to remove kids yet again from other subjects.

Rather galling when you have targets like 80% A*-C to achieve.

eljefeb90 and (deleted member) like this.