1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does your sickness record go with you, to your new school?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by lswow, May 22, 2016.

1. lswow

lswow New commenter

Hi all,

I have been diagnosed with a stress disorder / depression and have taken 10 days off work (signed off by the doctor.) I start a new job in September in England, as I am moving from Wales. Does my sickness record follow me to the new school? If so, will there be consequences in my new employment?

I have had an informal meeting with the school already but they haven't really helped me at all!

Thanks in advance!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No, it should not. Your sickness record is unique to your employment at your current school.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Doesn't it make a difference from the sick pay point of view? From the Burgundy Book "When a
    teacher moves to another employer, any sick pay paid during the current year by the previous employer shall be taken into account in calculating the amount and duration of sick pay payable by the new employer." Obviously, that ends once the current sick pay year finishes.

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

No. You are commencing a new employment so why would it, UNLESS, you are an academy transferring to a different academy under the same chain where you would still be employed by the same company.
    Your current school might provide this information in their reference though.

5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I had some forms for new jobs ask for sickness in last 4 yrs. Not sure if that is still allowed.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

After appointment, you may be asked to fill in a health questionnaire. Then you will need to declare the absent days and the reason. But 10 days isn't likely to cause a problem.

7. cach9801

cach9801 New commenter

My school has had people successfully leave and take up new posts after 2+ months of "illness" in a year! You'll be fine with 10 days!