1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does your school use Google Classroom?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by snitzelvonkrumm, Jul 10, 2018.

1. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

How do you rate Google Classroom? Where is it most useful? I am moving to a school that uses it but have no experience.

rideemcowboy likes this.
  2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Yes. Its very easy and very simple to use. Get on a free online google course, it will help a lot

3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You can be a certified Google educator for 10 pounds

4. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Yup. It's really easy to use.

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Very useful for distributing resources, having online discussions (ongoing), grading (if that's your thing) and parent communication (sort of). You'll find it quite intuitive if you use Facebook - it's simple to use. Do have a play with it before launching with students so you can see how to get the best out of it and set up expectations and routines from the start.

rideemcowboy likes this.
  6. galloisedog

galloisedog New commenter

Highly recommended; organised location for notes, assignments data, discussions. A huge time saver, not a moodle graveyard for worksheets and PowerPoints and say goodbye to "Untiled1".

rideemcowboy likes this.
  7. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy New commenter

Thank you for this thread Snitzel Dog. I too look am moving to a school that uses Google Classroom. Thank you for the comments so far.

englishdragon likes this.
  8. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

We use it, along with Google Classroom...

9. dumbbells66

Not only that but it saves everything automatically to your drive. You can not only comment directly on to your kids work, but also watch the work in real time. A nice little add on i have is called draftback (i think), it plays back everything your student has typed in the doc, deleted etc.... and it gives you an activity graph to show what day and what time they were working on the doc.

10. galloisedog

galloisedog New commenter

Further to @dumbbells66 add on recommendations, you can use the Google Forms to assess students, collate the results and either use the inbuilt score system or use Flubberoo to grade student assignments.
    The use of of Google Drive over Office is far superior due to the live and collaborative nature of Docs(Word), Slides (PowerPoint), Sheets (Excel) etc.
    You also have ownership of files which often might have been lost in unconventional student folder systems in the past.

11. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

Whoops! I meant to say that we use it along with Moodle...

12. mummalea

mummalea New commenter

Whilst I agree with all of the above posts, largely, I would say that having used Google Classroom in the UK, Qatar, Oman and Malaysia, that it's totally dependent on the quality of the WiFi in your building...if - like in my school - the web connection is pants, that ruins all your stuff. We've actually been forced to go backwards to Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint Presentations etc just because our internet is so unreliable. Otherwise, it slays :)

Helen-Back likes this.
  13. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

I'm curious... Do any of you have the Google Educator certificate (or the Apple educator certificate)? How intensive is it? Is it actually worth it in terms of PD or does it just suck up hours with no real impact?

14. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I have the Apple certificate, including swift playgrounds and found it pretty straightforward and free. I do use ipads and apple apps at my school though so I had a decent start. I believe you can redo any module if you fail so no reason not to give it a go in my opinion.

tjh102 likes this.
  15. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I've done Apple for Mac and ipad, but not done the Swift playgrounds because I would have to study for that bit. If you use Google regularly, you can do Level 1 without too much study quite easily (I did it in an hour and a half, with a glass of wine!). I've not done level 2 as I teach lower primary and a lot of the stuff you need to know about is for much older students, thus a bit of a pointless exercise for me.

tjh102 and Mr_Frosty like this.
  16. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Thanks, Mr_Frosty and migratingbird. I am one of the leads on our school's innovation and technology committee, so I feel like I should probably do the two of them, but have a million things to do for my masters at the moment.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  17. dumbbells66

Personnally i wouldnt bother with the Apple one, i found it pretty useless. Google level one, if you use google products everyday then you can easy complete it with no studying. Level 2 is a little harder and will require some work. Both took me less than an hour to complete.

JL48 and tjh102 like this.
  18. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

If it's any help I did the Apple certification in a couple of hours, if you know the apps it's genuinely very easy.

19. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It looks like a lot of hassle just to let Google grab more of your personal data.

20. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

I recommend Google Classroom. Classroom links educators with students, makes it simple to create an online class and invite learners, enables educators to distribute assignments, facilitates conversations between students and instructors, allows educators to review and grade assignments, and enables students to view class materials, documents, and assignments in one place.