1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does your school have planning in place?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Waterfin, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Inspired by the fact that I see on here lots of people who are sharing/asking for ideas for planning for topics.
    The school I work in made it a priority a good number of years ago to make sure that all subject leaders allocated skills from the National Curriculum to different topics and ensured that there was progression through the year groups. Each subject has a long term set of plans that maps this out. Each year group also has a long term set of plans of what topics these skills and objectives all fit into. When Wales changed to a new, skills based curriculum, there was a bit of time spent making sure all the new skills were matched up, but it was done q quickly.
    Each subject then has a medium term set of plans, one for each half term that determines tge skills to be covered and the related objectives. They also have suggested activities, but these are free for us to change as and when we see fit to accomodate any topical things (Olympics) or the children's interests.
    Because of this, all staff know what is to be covered in which term and for which year group and all subject leaders know that their subject is being delivered. Planning doesn't take too long, just how to approach the LO with the different abilities/needs of the children in your class in mind. If we want to change a topic we can easily as long as we don't replicate someone elses topic and we cover the skills and objectives within the planning.
    When I see people stating that they aren't sure where to start with planning, or asking for ideas of what they can do when teaching particular topics it makes me wonder whether most schools have solid plans in place or whether most don't. (I know that one of my ex-colleagues has moved to a school where there was little or no planning in place, so they are out there.)

2. Inspired by the fact that I see on here lots of people who are sharing/asking for ideas for planning for topics.
    The school I work in made it a priority a good number of years ago to make sure that all subject leaders allocated skills from the National Curriculum to different topics and ensured that there was progression through the year groups. Each subject has a long term set of plans that maps this out. Each year group also has a long term set of plans of what topics these skills and objectives all fit into. When Wales changed to a new, skills based curriculum, there was a bit of time spent making sure all the new skills were matched up, but it was done q quickly.
    Each subject then has a medium term set of plans, one for each half term that determines tge skills to be covered and the related objectives. They also have suggested activities, but these are free for us to change as and when we see fit to accomodate any topical things (Olympics) or the children's interests.
    Because of this, all staff know what is to be covered in which term and for which year group and all subject leaders know that their subject is being delivered. Planning doesn't take too long, just how to approach the LO with the different abilities/needs of the children in your class in mind. If we want to change a topic we can easily as long as we don't replicate someone elses topic and we cover the skills and objectives within the planning.
    When I see people stating that they aren't sure where to start with planning, or asking for ideas of what they can do when teaching particular topics it makes me wonder whether most schools have solid plans in place or whether most don't. (I know that one of my ex-colleagues has moved to a school where there was little or no planning in place, so they are out there.)

3. that sounds good and if you are working from a skills base then you can vary the topics, we have gone some way towards it but are still working through by highlighting which skills we cover to make sure we do them all, it would be nice if it was all mapped out!!!!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I used to work in such a school...it was soooooo lovely.

I used to work with a year team partner who did have the planning...that was lovely too!

Now there is me, with no experience of KS1 planning everything for both classes in year 2 with nothing to go on except the NC! While I sort of like the freedom it is hugely time consuming and a total nuisance!

5. We don't have any planning in place. There is some very old long term, rolling-programme stuff, but it's very out of date and refers to classes which we no longer have!
    Our school structure seems to change every year, with different combinations of mixed-age classes, so there is nothing concrete in place.
    It makes it very hard to know who has done what, what needs to be done, what has already been done... it's a nightmare!