1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does your school have an adventurous staffroom?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by gailrobinson, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    We thought you might like to hear about a new competition to find Britain's most adventurous staffroom.
    To enter you have to share accounts of the fantastic and interesting holidays, hobbies or projects that the teachers in your staffroom do in their spare time.
    The prizes are £250 per person and £1,000 worth of new computer equipment for your school or education centre.
    Deadline for entries is Monday July 4.
    Find out more about the competition sponsored by Endsleigh Insurance

2. Hello all,
    We thought you might like to hear about a new competition to find Britain's most adventurous staffroom.
    To enter you have to share accounts of the fantastic and interesting holidays, hobbies or projects that the teachers in your staffroom do in their spare time.
    The prizes are £250 per person and £1,000 worth of new computer equipment for your school or education centre.
    Deadline for entries is Monday July 4.
    Find out more about the competition sponsored by Endsleigh Insurance

3. We don't have a staffroom anymore. It has been converted to a work area. We have no soft chairs and no area to sit and talk with colleagues that is not in an office.
    Do we get to win £250 out of pity?!

4. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

HA ! What planet are you on? No time for hobbies, no money for holidays.
    Wish I had spare time but alas, nose is to the grindstone, day in, day out!
    Now I find not only do I have a pay freeze, with a possible extra 3% pension contributions with rising inflation, but I will be forced to work ever longer hours in an academy, and hope that I can keep going to 68, just to receive my poxy pension, where I will be £250,000 pounds out of pocket, and no hope of increasing any contributions because I can't afford living !
    If my headteacher knew that we had 'fun' I would be out the door quick sharp!

5. ours was like that - pah! we soon sorted that out by bringing in cushions, decorations and refusing to be quiet. of course our staffroom is in two halves. there's the side that tutts and works and the side that it raucuous and giggly and eats a lot of chocolate instead of working.
    seriously you have my sympathy it's miserable where there's no sanctuary for a chat and a coffee - at least our 'small' staffroom was turned into a social staffroom - affectionately known as the soft play room. we've asked for a TV and games console - no joy yet. can we have the £250 to buy biscuits and Wii games please?

6. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

I was berated by a member of SLT for using the staffroom at break!
    "You won't find the English department sitting around in the staffroom having a brew at break"

In all fairness we're the only dep't to use it anyway.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I sometimes go commando, does that count?[​IMG]

8. risky... but only exciting if you forget to do your flies up...

however if you mean commando raids on other subject bases I'm intregued!

9. surely of all departments the English teachers should appreciate the Oxymoron there...

10. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Maybe, but they'd be far too busy being extra professional to have time to notice!

11. that stinks - like a mouldy staffroom fridge -which I adventurously sent out an all staff about - only to find that someones lunchtime cheesy snack got thrown away for the good of all... and then I spent the rest of the day feeling guilty knowing someone had shamefacedly gone hungry.

guess no one is taking the comp seriously then...