1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does your school have a written policy on working in the same school your child attends?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cheesecakelover76, Jun 14, 2019.

1. cheesecakelover76

cheesecakelover76 New commenter

i work in the same school my son attends. My school does not have a policy on parents being employees and i am finding it increasingly difficult to make the school realise i have two roles and they need to understand i am a parent too.

Has anyone else had this issue? Can anyone advise on a good policy or document i could at least read? How has anyone else coped in this predicament. I don't teach i am an administrator and ive been at the school since 2012.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Would probably not help you to read a 'blanket policy' as your School would certainly have its own approach,

in my experience people at the same school as their children tend to concentrate on their role within school and 'distance' themselves from school and the child by asking for any queries / referrals etc. to go straight to another 'caretaker/ parent etc of the child.

3. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

We don't have a formal policy, but do have staff (including admin) who are in your position. You certainly could ask for a policy to be created, but equally you could try some of the below:
    - if your OH is an involved parent, you could ask staff to use them as first point of contact (and use OH when you as parents want to ask questions / raise issues)
    - with a smile repeatedly ask staff to contact you as they would any other parent i.e. by email / telephone at the appropriate point
    - if found during the school day to discuss your child, smile and remind them you are at work now, but could a time be made to meet / could they email your OH

It all depends on what your issue is. Are you being contacted too much? too little? being told information you shouldn't? not being information you should?

Hope you find a good solution....

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What would you like the policy to say?

Oneshot, Pomza, nomad and 1 other person like this.
  5. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

My main concern (from a non-parent perspective) is the complexities for the school in terms of safeguarding, so there may be pointers in the school's safeguarding policy. I would assume that, as a parent, you will do things that other staff would never dream of; you might give some of the students (your son's friends) a lift in your car, you might have some of the students visiting your house and even staying overnight, you might even add some of the students as friends on social media.
    If your school has not considered your two roles, maybe raising the issue from this perspective would spur them into action. Although I think @atwoodfan has raised points that will be far more relevant 99% of the time, they are "only" things that will impact you as a parent rather than the school itself.

6. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Are you the only member of staff in this position? All three of mine were at school with me but there were loads of staff kids including the head's. I made sure I never taught my own kids. That just complicates things even further.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I've never seen a school policy on this, I'm not sure how it would work in practice anyway. If you are already there as a staff member they cannot prevent your child applying for a place at the school. You would have a statutory right to apply for your child's place and that right cannot be taken away by a school policy. Nor, if your child was given a place, could you be dismissed.

Lots of threads on this here. Most people report they had no problem with their child being in a school where they taught. Just needed to remember roles: teacher in school, parent at home. If tricky issues arose commonly people said their OH went in to see Head to discuss it.

Pomza, nomad and agathamorse like this.
  8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Is the concern that you believe your son is being treated differently because his parent works in the school? Or that school issues with your son are raised with you outside of parent meetings because you are readily available in school?

I worked in the same school as my daughter, but was very careful to separate the two roles. Her form tutor did ask about a friendship issue on one occasion, but other than that, there were no crossovers. It was a very large school of over 2000 students though, which probably made it easier.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Having your own children in a school where you work is not that unusual. In small schools, having your own child in the class you teach is quite common too. If all staff act professionally, it shouldn't cause any problems.

efm, agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I taught in a school that had several staff parents. I took the approach that if I needed to speak to them, I rang them at home and made an appointment. Once all parties were aware of this - no issues.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. CalF123

CalF123 New commenter

This will be very much school or potentially MAT dependent. I’m a senior manager and deputy head at a free school and we have a blanket ban in place on staff’s kids. It never works out well for any party concerned in my experience.

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

But your experience is rather limited, isn't it?

bevdex, phlogiston, Pomza and 4 others like this.
  13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You are a liar and a troll @CalF123 It's obvious from your many posts on other threads that you are nothing of the sort and you are just trying to wind up regular TES posters.

I suspect you are reecedouglas under a new username:eek: But even if not you aren't genuine.

lizziescat, bevdex, Sally006 and 5 others like this.
  14. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I feel quite strongly about this particular chestnut. I think it should be illegal to work at the same school your child attends UNLESS there are extenuating circumstances eg. You are an SEN practitioner in a specific SEN school and your child has that SEN or you are a remote crafting community on the Faroe Islands and there is one secondary.
    Too many grey areas. Can you smack your child if they are naughty at school (one assumes no.) Do you have to give yourself notice to put them in detention? Add sleepovers etc and it COULD be a safeguarding minefield. As a kid I would be mortified if Mum worked at the school.
    I suppose the way forward given it’s not illegal and it happens is common sense. Although maybe a policy would give clarity. In the absence of both and I’m sorry to say this OP I would get a job in a different school.

15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Although looking back you are an administrator not a teacher. Better, but I still think it’s not ideal.

16. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

If a member of staff needed to speak to me about my son's behaviour, they spoke to me after school, just as they would any other parent-the only difference being I couldn't rush off without waiting to be spoken to! During work hours, I was a colleague , afterwards I was a parent.

bevdex, efm and nomad like this.
  17. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

I've taught in the same school as my daughter three times. Lots of us have our children attend the school where I work. It's never been a problem. Mr Morse attends parents evenings and deals with any admin from school.

Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

During your hours of employment you are a teacher/TA/secretary or whatever your job is. This is when you do not wear your 'parent hat'.

Outside of these hours you are a parent (except in a medical emergency).

If you cannot come to terms with this, the either move yourself or your child to another school.

MacGuyver, sbkrobson, bevdex and 4 others like this.
  19. CalF123

CalF123 New commenter

Not quite. I’m a deputy head teacher with responsibility for strategy and curriculum development, as well as being resource manager.

20. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Hopefully comprehension skills aren't one of the curriculum areas you are developing!

lizziescat, bevdex, Stiltskin and 5 others like this.