1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does your School have a Policy to manage the death of a 'Category A' person?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by burajda, Feb 12, 2016.

1. burajda

burajda Star commenter

2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I think a contingency plan should also be in place for a fairly major accident/attack as well. The day after 9/11 my tutor group asked if we could have a minute's silence, I was teaching at a school which had pupils from London when the 7/7 attacks happened. I've also taught at schools where a pupil has died. I think it is a good idea to have some plans in place for events.

4. Jude Fawley

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2016
    aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

A school might have some sort of policy for people directly connected to the school population or events affecting (I can tell the difference) the school community but I think anything else can be handled on the fly.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I stopped reading at "Bearing in mind their [the staff's] feelings of loss..."

Bleugh. if I were still a headteacher, my police would be: carry on as normal in the event of a so-called "Category A death".

Death of a member/former member of the school community? I've dealt with several of those and I hope I did so in a fitting manner which showed respect to the person concerned (more than one of which was a child, also several former staff).

Sillow likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I wouldn't rush to involve the police but the rest is fine.

9. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Citizen Jude, I think its illegal to celebrate or wish the death of certain Category A persons . For example wishing the death of the Queen by storing some alcohol ready for the occasions is not viewed as appropriate and is possibly treasonable. But perhaps saving your best bubbly to give a toast to her long and successful reign after the forlorn event of her death (hopefully not in the near future) would be fine. Mods just to note my loyalty: God Save the Queen and long may she reign.
    Interestingly while the Queen and Camilla and Wills are category A, Harry apparently is not at least by the Arts Council policy. .

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I imagine most schools have more contingencies for managing the death of bacteria than they have for dealing with expired teaching staff :)

11. Middlemarch

Duh! But you know I meant policy!

racroesus likes this.
  12. Middlemarch

CAMILLA is? Blimey...

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"It is with deep regret that I have to announce the death of [insert school Category A person name here]. We will observe a minute's silence in registration, then in accordance with existing school tradition they will be stuffed and used as an exam invigilator."

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The death of anyone, whether Category A or otherwise, is a sad occasion for someone who loved them.

In general, the death of a Category A person would elicit the respect of those who are not close family. Winston Churchill's death and funeral are an example I remember well.

Provided, of course, the event doesn't become a self indulgent sob-fest, as in the case of Diana.

15. Jude Fawley

Well it would on here because any other viewpoint isn't tolerated.

It's the attitude of the uneducated to stamp out anything that isn't in keeping with some self indulgent sob-fest.

But then this isn't 'Opinion'. It's the fluffy bunnies club.

16. Jude Fawley

Goodnight everyone.

17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Is this 1984?

My recent post on this thread seems to have vanished...

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Lets hope our leading Category A person lives on for as long as possible. The death of the Category A will cost the nation a lot of money - probably a couple of billion in lost economic output. Schools and colleges will close and the BBC will ban comedy, however it will be able to reach 4 billion people and sell the TV rights unless the funeral of the leading Category A person coverage is privatised in true British fashion or sold to a foreign bidder. Leading Category As from abroad such as The Category A of the USA and of Saudi Arabia will fly in causing enormous disruption and security heavy handedness. Many category Bs and their entourgares will also need to be catered for and protected so London will close for days. Every police and army personnel will need new insignia and their buildings and vehicles will need new livery. Can we really afford for the Category A to pass?
    There will be massive psychological damage inflicted to the nation. Then a few months later it will all start over again when the new Leading Category A is officially put in place.

19. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

CAMILLA?? But she is not a true Royal!

20. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

Be careful Buraida .....Tis treason "when a man doth compass or imagine the death of our lord the King, or of our lady his Queen or of their eldest son and heir"
    Although the BBC and the police must have 'imagined' the day already and have a plan and programming in place that will swing into action immediately.