1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does your primary school have a basic skills tutor visit and deliver lessons to identified groups?

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by alihatherall, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Does your primary school have a basic skills tutor who visits to deliver lessons to identified groups?
    If so, how do the children in these specific groups differ from children who are below the level they 'should be' at for literacy and numeracy and get the usual extra support (TA, LSA, IEP etc!)? Or don't they?! In which case, how are they chosen?! [​IMG]
    Also, does what the tutor teaches differ from literacy and numeracy lessons taught by the class teachers?

2. Does your primary school have a basic skills tutor who visits to deliver lessons to identified groups?
    If so, how do the children in these specific groups differ from children who are below the level they 'should be' at for literacy and numeracy and get the usual extra support (TA, LSA, IEP etc!)? Or don't they?! In which case, how are they chosen?! [​IMG]
    Also, does what the tutor teaches differ from literacy and numeracy lessons taught by the class teachers?

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

we don't have anyone coming in, a T.A. delivers the basic skills programmes we use.
    As for identifying the children, it should be those that have a standardised score of between 90 and 100. Personally, I prefer these children to have T.A. support in class rather than them follow boring programmes out of class.

4. Thanks for your reply, I've got an interview Tuesday for a Basic Skills Tutor job going to various Caerphilly schools, I wanted more info so I don't sound like an idiot but having trouble finding anything. If I got it I'd like to think I could make it less boring!!
    What basic skills programmes do you use; are they ones your school devised or provided by the Basic Skills Agency/bought programme?