1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does your Nursery and reception classes have identical planning ?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lizzy123, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have started a new school who use a"creative" curriculum.But all of the reception classes and Nursery follow identical lesson plans that are regurgitated without alterations every two years and have done from the beginning of time it seems.
    Children's interests are not taken in to account, no one is allowed to deviate from the plans, even down to the stories we read and the songs we sing! This is the same throughout the school.Every class in the same year group has identical displays and identical books and lessons.
    How common is this? I am gobsmacked.
    I realise now having worked a creative curriculum in two other schools-different athourities.How lucky I was.I could teach what ever took my fancy or the childrens as long as it covered the learning objectives.
    I feel gutted,let down and really depressed. I love nursery and have always had such fun.I have always been graded well.
    Is what I describe above as normal?

2. Hi
    I have started a new school who use a"creative" curriculum.But all of the reception classes and Nursery follow identical lesson plans that are regurgitated without alterations every two years and have done from the beginning of time it seems.
    Children's interests are not taken in to account, no one is allowed to deviate from the plans, even down to the stories we read and the songs we sing! This is the same throughout the school.Every class in the same year group has identical displays and identical books and lessons.
    How common is this? I am gobsmacked.
    I realise now having worked a creative curriculum in two other schools-different athourities.How lucky I was.I could teach what ever took my fancy or the childrens as long as it covered the learning objectives.
    I feel gutted,let down and really depressed. I love nursery and have always had such fun.I have always been graded well.
    Is what I describe above as normal?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Very unusual I don't know any schools that still work that way.

4. Apparently they were critised by OFSTED 5 years for descrepencies between classes,since then everything must look identical.
    We are due OFSTED this year,surely they will be looking for planning and activities that cater for the needs and interests of the individual classes. I fail to see why my Nursery class has to do exactly the same work as the reception classes. Okay I could follow the topic but adapt it to fit in with the needs of the children.
    Ideas please and help me justify my reasons to the head.
    At the moment if OFSTED turned up next week I can't justify what I am doing.I am teaching "lessons" from planning dating back from 2005 and have been told I can't do anything not on the plan!

5. You need to show your Head the EYFS it repeatedly says that planning and learning comes from following children's interests this is clearly NOT that.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

I thought I'd heard it all.

8. Well thanks ladies. I took the bull by the horns fired up with the EYFS handbook with bits highlighted ready to fight my corner.
    Guess what a complete u turn from the Head and SLT and I have been given permission to do my own planning following the interests of the children. I am thrilled to bits.Much to the disgust of one of the reception teachers who has still got to follow the old planning to the letter.
    Thanks for the replies and links.