1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does your head impose any restrictions on the amount of photocopying you can do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Feb 9, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Good Heavens no! We can copy what we like when we like, colour or black and white.

No-one really misuses it and all are trusted to use as they need.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I am amazed! We have the office photocopier which is black and white and we can freely use, each classroom has a colour 2 in 1 printer/photocopier, the laptops are all networked to a colour and a BW laser printer and we use them all!

3. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

CarrieV- where do you work? We have 1 printer between 12 classes which we cannot use in the morning as it is also the sacred photocopier! Your arrangement sounds divine- must be great to be trusted like that and treated as a professional person.

4. Colour! We wish!
    It goes through phases at our school. Codes in evidence when a lot of the peripatetic teachers were photocopying stuff to use in their next school, not ours. In the past we've been given a ream of paper, to have to go and ask for another when it runs out. Not any more though. Although at the moment the paper is brought up a box at a time at the moment and is stored in a mysterious place...not anywhere I have found anyway!
    It seems petty, but apparently we spend more than £1000 a year on paper and the same on inks for printers and the budget per capita isn't too healthy in our school.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I do find the printer/photocopier in the class invaluable. It's only a bog-standard HP version but it means when you need that inevitable extra copy you can just run it off, the children print off their own work and copy whiteboards, they download photos etc and as it is linked to the interactive whiteboard, I can print off as we work. I encourage the children to use the networked BW printer rather than the colour version however as they do have a tendency to print 5 versions of the same document!

6. All the teachers have a code (black and white printing only) TA's have to use their teachers' code, if we need clour, we have to ask the office staff to put in their 'secret' code, for photocopying.
    All the class laptops are linked to the colour printer, but we can only print once and then have to ask the office staff to photocopy however many colour copies we need, but we mainly use black and white.

7. Is that all? No wonder our head has gone a bit mad at us - apparently we have spent £8K since Xmas on printing [​IMG] lol.

8. Never in a school I've worked full-time in.
    On supply I've seen a ream of paper given for the entire term and there being no paper in the photocopier at all and codes of varying degrees of secrecy - ranging from supplies getting a generic code down to class teachers hiding their codes with their hands.
    Now, I don't mind codes on photocopiers - but if you're going to leave cover work out with instructions that I need to photocopy it... it's nice to give me the code to do this as well! Had that one a couple of times and it's usually just the fact it's not crossed their mind to leave the code.
    Our old copier it was restricted to however many copies you could squeeze out of it before it jammed up in a strop again... on a good day - unlimited, on a bad day you got three if you were first in before it expired again. The printer in that school needed an exorcist as well... how I loved that technological setup.
    Does anyone else have the printer at the other end of the school from your PC and having to trot back and forward trying to beg a printout out of it fun?

9. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

We don't have any limits to photocopying, but it does annoy me when we get given useless handouts to read at meetings that are only photocopied on one side, or when reams of paper are chucked in the recycling and it could be used for scrap.
    As for printers, each classroom/offiice has one, which makes life easier in that respect. The ICT co-ordinator does keep a close eye on printing in the ICT suite, and keeps saying how much ink we've used and all the colour printing that's been done wrong and been chucked, but she doesn't monitor our classroom printers so closely and gave me a bundle of ink at the beginning of the year, which I've been slowly working through.

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

No limit on paper or BW printing, but everyone has 100 limit on colour per term with a code. Our computers are linked to the photocopier. Our problem is that all classes get exactly the same even though KS2 use far less. FS and KS1 use a lot to enhance role play areas etc. We are very poorly resourced and colour photo copies were a cheap way of enhancing resources or even providing essential resources to KS1 and FS. We all saved as much colour photo copying as possible last term as we were expecting ofsted and wanted to keep some in reserve. They didnt come and the result has been Herr Hitler deciding we obviously didnt need as much colour photocopying so reduced our limit this term! We have to be careful to print via the file button because if we print via the print button on our desk top, it counts us as having printed colour even if it was black and white. Something one teacher found to her cost as she was away when the system was first set up, so used up her allocation in the first 2 weeks.

11. This thread reminds me of a teaching prac I did in a school in 1994.... we were lead around the school by the head teacher, shown the resource room and told "There's the photocopier, but don't use it...students are only allowed to use the banda copier." Cue a several weeks of making your own masters using carbon paper and hand cranking off the copies needed for the lessons.
    [​IMG]

12. We all have a £2.50 limit (10p per copy), displayed on our laptop screen for the printer, its fun (NOT) watching the money go down each time we click the 'print' key!
    SLT have an unlimited amount, its adviced to keep in with them for this purpose only..lol

13. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Think we did teaching prac at the same school waterfin! I still have my teaching practice file for this school and it is twice as thick as any other file and everything is stained pink!

14. Ahh...those were the days! [​IMG]

15. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Remember the smell.............[​IMG]they should bottle it and sell it for those who of us who've been round the block a few times!

16. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

We have a code, told it was unlimited but we are waiting to be told that we are doing to much. If we had in by 1.00 then admin do it on there code. Try as I might thought I can not Mark the literacy and produce the next days planning and sheets in half an hour!!!! I find it easier to do my own but I am waiting to get told tut tut too much copying!

17. Ronson

Ronson New commenter

The school where I did my first block placement did that - and I got told off for printing off a bunch of sheets myself. The place where I'm doing my final block placement has no such restrictions - though the first school was generally pretty good apart from that.

18. We get guilt-tripped every few weeks about the cost of ink and paper. As if we are doing it for fun!? Each class is given a ream and have to bend and scrape for more. Most teachers just buying it in Tesco, for an easy life. There are 5 printers in my school. All rarely have ink or paper. Again, most teachers just doing printing at home. We have a code for photocopier and a limit. Grrrr.

19. Where do you teach?!!? Any vacancies???? We are given a 'budget' of 500 copies per term. Majority of our resources are photocopiable!!

20. I used to work in a school abroad which had a man solely employed to do photocopying.. mind you we were a 6 form entry primary school that went from nursery to Y6 so there were over 1000 pupils and hundreds of staff. He could do all sorts though - I quite admired him for his photocopying genius. Teachers weren't supposed to do the photocopying at all but TAs could as we shared the same room as the photocopying man. It was an odd set up but with such a big school there would have been queues and queues of teachers!