1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does this violate equal opportunities?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Training_2_Teach, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Single applicants (with no dependants) or married teaching couples should submit a full CV, with attached photograph, via email to the Principal

What if you are married but you are not a teaching couple with 1 dependant? I've just seen a job advertised in a country I wish to work in and a reputable school - well by the look of the website.

Shall I apply for it anyway or am I wasting my time?

2. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Single applicants (with no dependants) or married teaching couples should submit a full CV, with attached photograph, via email to the Principal

What if you are married but you are not a teaching couple with 1 dependant? I've just seen a job advertised in a country I wish to work in and a reputable school - well by the look of the website.

Shall I apply for it anyway or am I wasting my time?

3. As it is in another country I guess equal opp regulations don't apply.

4. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

It may be to do with the laws of the country not necessarily the school - maybe the law does not permit any kind of residency visa that is not accompanied by a work permit? Or to do with health insurance?

If you feel you could adequately cover the financial costs of a non-working partner and dependent, and have all financial bases covered, may be worth asking the question? Perhaps they are also concerned about the possibility of a non-teaching partner wanting work/career and forcing their employee back to Blighty?
    As to whether it is violation of equal opportunities or not - there's no such thing in some countries! Here for example it is quite legitimate to ask for 'attractive single young woman' in job ads and specify no hijab (head scarves) (I'm talking about among the population generally not teaching jobs!) never mind ageism/sexism/religious sensibilities!

5. This school is being honest about who it will shortlist. Others may have a criteria, but don't publish it.
    My advice is that if you are expecting equal opportunites policies/health and safety/employment conditions to be just like the UK, then it may be that teaching overseas will not be for you.