1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does this strike anyone else as unusual?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Professor Dumbledore, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Firstly, I hope I have not broken any TES rules by posting this, (though I'm sure someone will soon tell me if I have!) I was wondering what anyone else thought of this job advert - something about it strikes me as odd. Is it usual for schools to expect teachers to run after school and lunchtime clubs "as part of their normal weekly timetable?" Also, they don't seem to value the teaching aspect... Can't quite put my finger on it, but something about it has put me off applying.
    <table class="vacancyprintlist"><tr class="itemcolor"><td>
    Further, an ability to oversee the day-to-day running of a CC3 network of 30 computers is essential. This includes taking responsibility for e-safety. </td></tr><tr class="altitemcolor"><td class="tdtitle"></td><td>The successful applicant needs to have excellent interpersonal skills and must be highly organised and motivated. Bearing in mind the specific requirements and complexities of this post, unqualified teachers are also welcome to apply.
    </td></tr></table>

2. Professor Dumbledore

Oh balls. Here's the 2nd paragraph in case you can't see it.
    The successful applicant needs to have excellent interpersonal skills and must be highly organised and motivated. Bearing in mind the specific requirements and complexities of this post, unqualified teachers are also welcome to apply.

3. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Talk about wanting value for their money! They probably expect teacher to run a holiday club too!

4. Professor Dumbledore

Glad it's not just me! The bit that irked me most was the "unqualified" but - basically implies they want someone to do all these things, but it doesn't matter if they can actually TEACH. Did I star out the fact it's a Primary school? I think that makes it worse.

5. I suspect the 'winning' candidate will be the only member of staff!

(There's probably a missing paragraph where they talk about the cleaning duties and a link to the kinds of food you will be expected to make...and serve!)

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The successful candidate will also be expected to insert a long-handled broom into his/her rear orifice and sweep the floor as he/she carries out his/her other duties.

7. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Are they looking for a human being or a robot?

I could not imagine having to run a CC3 network AND do music/choir/shows etc.

These are obviously the jobs that nobody else at the school wants to do and they are hoping to kill two birds with one stone.

Unbelievable!

8. If this is a position advertised for a British school in an old British Empire country - all I can say is that I suppose for the opprtunity to work in the sun, without paying tax etc I suppose that such a position can be so demanding - and hsitory has taught us that these positions are invariably filled.....

If it is the school I think it is - their school lunch menu looks fab!!!!!

9. Professor Dumbledore

Not sure it's the one you're thinking, Miss P! It's a school in England in the county where I live. I don't think the menu would be anything particularly out of this world! :)
    Glad other posters seem to think this is ridiculous, but I'm bit worried - maybe they think that as people are so desperate for jobs they will accept this kind of offer...

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It is ridiculous.
    And people will accept this kind of offer.

11. ... and not a mention of teaching and learning.

12. I am surprised they haven't written "sell your house, bring your sleeping bag and toothbrush and tell family and friends you will see them next century".