1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does this sound suspicious?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rachyclaire, Jun 6, 2011.

1. I am coming to the end of my PGCE and applying for NQT jobs, and I'm a bit worried that my work history sounds a bit odd!
    I've had about 4 temp jobs (all lasting 6+ months) and some casual work since leaving uni in 2007, as well as one permanent job. Basically I worked in a seasonal industry, hence the number of temp roles.
    In 2009 I spent the school summer hols working at a holiday scheme and in the September I went to work in a permanent role. I stayed there for 10 months but carried on working at the "summer" job on a casual basis. The permanent job was office based and I didn't particularly like the people I worked with, as well as it being an hours drive from my home, so I quit to go back to the summer job full time the following June, mainly because I was fed up of being indoors all the time and I wanted to have some fun before starting my PGCE in Sept. 2010.
    On my applications I state that I worked in the Summer job from 2009-2010 and explain that I worked there full time in the summer and on a casual basis inbetween, and put the permanent employment down for the overlapping period. However when I'm asked on the forms for the reason for leaving, I put "end of temp contract" (for the temp roles) and "To return to previous role" for the permanent one. I'm a bit worried that it sounds suspicious that I quit a well paid permanent job to go back to a less well paid temp job.

I'm just wondering if this is likely to put people off when reading my application? Sorry for it being so long winded and complicated!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It does sound a bit complicated, rather than fishy.
    Could you put Seasonal industry instead of End of temporary contract and then have perhaps something like Lack of job satisfaction for why you left the other?
    It seems to me that these are the true reasons, if I've understood your post correctly.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!