1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does this sound right?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by laa2laa, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I've been a supply teacher since October only working for one agency. I qualified last march so officially I'm still an NQT. I just checked my payslips for the last two weeks (sent by email) and I found my pay had been reduced from £93 to £80 which is awful considering I now have a years professional teaching and there are two schools that constantly ask the agency for me!

I just emailed my agency and got this response:

<font face="Arial">The bookings that you have already been paid for I cannot amend however the best thing to do in future is double check your rates before each booking. What has happened is that as an agency we have had to review all our pay rates - this should have been discussed with you but I think as you moved from being my teacher to X's you have got lost in the mire!</font><font face="Arial"></font><font face="Arial">In a nut shell there is a thing called the Agency Workers Review (AWR) which basically means that schools after having you in over a 12 week period HAVE TO LEGALLY pay you to pay scale (MPS). As you can imagine this places strain on both schools and agencies in order to keep the levels at what they are - what we asked our teachers to do was be willing to accept less money (&pound;80) for day to day bookings - the reason being is that it gives you more options as to which schools we can place you in - We will ALWAYS try and get you the highest rate possible but some schools charge rates mean we have no leeway. </font><font face="Arial"></font><font face="Arial">I know this all sounds a bit doom and gloom but it's not - there may be a loophole in AWR which means professionals (I.E. Teachers, Nurses etc) do not come under this bracket of pay scales so it hopefully will return to normal soon - we are awaiting news from the REC who are the body for the recruitment industry about this.</font>
    I've got a job for september anyway so I'm wondering whether just to leave this agency!
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

2. Basically agencies con do what they like, and that includes pay. The 12 week period you mentioned has to be 12 weeks on the same contract. This means that if you get 3 days work, that is one contract. Any more work you get is another contract. Please read the AWR carefully as many teachers do not.
    Good luck for the future.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

They're not honouring their contract with you and didn 't even have the decency to give you advance warning of their reduced rates. You didn't agree them so I'd insist on being paid your agreed rate and refuse any more work unless it's properly paid. Can you afford to play hard ball?
    The email you've been sent is trying to fob you off. If they want to avoid paying you to scale, the school just needs to employ a different supply teacher before 12 weeks have elapsed since employing a given teacher.
    As you are an agency worker, who won't be starting your new job until September, you are entitled to claim JSA over the summer once your temp work dries up. If you do so, it might be better to carry on taking agency work for as long as it is available as the JSA people will contact your last employer to ask if was still available when you left their employ. When you ve received your last agency pay ,make a claim the next working day nad potentially get your JSA personal allowance, your rent and council tax paidand free NHS services.

4. Sorry I'm a little bit confused...

So is it because I have worked more than 12 weeks at the same school? Does this count even if I have had weeks on and off and worked at different schools?

I've never even heard of the AWR.

I work in a call centre as well so I'm just going to resign I think. Everybody else from my university who are working on supply were on a lot more than me before the pay cut anyway.

Thanks for your help

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I think that the 12 weeks is supposed to be continuous service so more likely if coveing a maternity leave etc.

6. I certainly haven't done 12 weeks continous service at any school.

I've just written an email given notification of my resignation.

It's their loss. I know they have one particular school who will only work with me in my agency- they use another agency for their other supply teachers because it is cheaper.

If anything if I hadn't got work starting September I was going to ask for a pay rise.

Thanks for your help.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Is there any chance of getting work from your September school in the last few weeks of this term?

8. My September school work with my agency [​IMG]
    One of the reasons i got an interview there was because they liked my style of teaching.

Oh no!

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's the agency that have broken your contract terms so I don't see why your new employer for September can't emply you direct as casual staff before your contract starts.

10. No there's no way the will pay me. On the email it felt like he was making it out to be my fault for not checking the rate.

I am absolutely fuming with this supply company and will be advising all students/ supply in my new school not to touch them with a bargepole.

I think they have just lowered my rate because they know i'm leaving and they can do what they want.

11. Another scam is this: I did a days supply at a school, after which the agency asked me whether work had been set. When i got my pay slip, I found that I had only been paid &pound;55 gross and not &pound;120. When I queried this the agency told me that, if work had been set, I was therefore only acting as a CS, not a teacher!

12. CAN they change your rate without informing you themselves? And I don't mean retrospectively by payslip. It's like your bank changing your interest rate and then saying "by the way..." when you've paid too much/been paid too little which they're not allowed to do. I thought you had to be informed about any change in salary.

13. As we have found when we have tried to get help from the unions, there is not much they can (or are prepared?) to do, since, they claim, they cannot get involved with agencies, only LA schools.

14. Incidently. Albertdog, I went to write a negative review about them on the internet and found you had too so I think you have had problems with them too