1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does this happen to you?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by bobbycatrules, Dec 9, 2011.

1. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

Hello fellow supply teachers,
    I won't bore you with all my woes, but I just wondered if you find that headteachers treat supply teachers as 'easy come, easy go?' I'm very lucky that I almost always get long term supply, and that the headteachers give me good references (my friend at the agency always tells me what the references are like). However, after completing my contract, I rarely get asked back for another long term post or a permanent post at the same school.
    Do you think that supply is 'easy come, easy go', and that the person being asked to cover is in the right place at the right time? Or am I doing something wrong?

2. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

Hello fellow supply teachers,
    I won't bore you with all my woes, but I just wondered if you find that headteachers treat supply teachers as 'easy come, easy go?' I'm very lucky that I almost always get long term supply, and that the headteachers give me good references (my friend at the agency always tells me what the references are like). However, after completing my contract, I rarely get asked back for another long term post or a permanent post at the same school.
    Do you think that supply is 'easy come, easy go', and that the person being asked to cover is in the right place at the right time? Or am I doing something wrong?

3. If you are there over a year you almost become like a permanent member of staff so I guess the chop and change to save putting people on contracts. They might replace you with a permanent cheaper teacher too if the post needs to be filled properly.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've been working as a 1-1 tutor and occasional supply teacher at a school for a year. Got this feeling that it will be coming to an end soon as finances get tight. It will be really hard to leave as I've made good friends there and got to know the children really well. The hard thing is not leaving because you want to but because you are no longer needed.

5. I have had that happen to me quite alot in my career. In my last long term placement, I had to go through and OFSTED with the school and while the head was more than happy to give me a reference when I left, I have never gone back. When I vacancy came up, I didn't even get an interview. It is demoralising at time. It seems that supply teaching is definitely becoming a "What have you done for me lately?" type of thing. Trust me, you are doing nothing wrong.

6. I've had a series of long term supply jobs (1 year each). On each occasion I have applied for the job I have been doing for the year and failed to get it, which hasn't done my confidence much good! But I am expensive, and for at least 2 of the positions a finders fee would have been payable. I had a chat with one of the HTs about applying for jobs and my position as a supply teacher and she said that she put any supply teacher applicants on the reject pile! This after employing me for a year doing a full time class teacher job without expressing any qualms about my abilities and giving me good grades on observation.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

One of the drawbacks of being experienced and getting mainly long term work is that schools will forget you, and other (possibly cheaper) supply staff will get their foot in the door while you're somewhere else. Being old and on top of scale I'm acutely aware of this possibility. I'm currently into week 6 of a potentially long term job, but it's been 16 months since I last set foot in the school, and during this time they've been economising on their Supply spending and using CS for weeks on end.

8. count yourself lucky you're getting long term stuff. I do sympathise though as I really do think it seems to be a case of being in the right place at the right time-something I do not seem to be good at. I have worked reguarly in a few schools on and off for the last couple of years, they have all had someone else in for long term positions and not me! At one of the schools even another teacher commented she was surprised so and so got the PPA cover job as I had been there so long. It does make you think sometimes but I just try and not be paronoid. I do wonder though..

9. A frank, but rather sad admission about putting supply teachers' applications on the reject pile.
    A rather insensitive comment too! Can't have made you feel too good!!
    She clearly lacks professional integrity and vision. It is then not a fair playing field.
    I hope other head teachers are somewhat more enlightened - otherwise what hope is there for those of us would like a permanent position?

10. I think that the finder's fee is the issue here. The HT has provided a good reference and the rejection is not a reflection on thumbie's teaching.
    I have found that many teachers and HTs have a real contempt for supply teachers. I've been told that supply is "a marker of low quality" and the fact I've never had a permanent post reflects very badly on me, i.e. if I was any good, I would have got a job by now. [​IMG]