1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does this happen at your school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by scorpio12, Feb 26, 2012.

1. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Hi all,

I have worked in two schools which have both been like this and wondered if this was the norm or not as I'm feeling quite stressed at the moment.

Every week in my school there seems to be at least a couple of things which we are having to do on top of the usual planning/assessing/resource preparation for our class - e.g. observations/IEP targets/levelling work for a specified subject/themed weeks which require additional work/work in relation to subject co-ordination/preparing for assemblies/Masses etc.

Are all schools like this? I just feel that I'm rushing my planning and marking in order to get all the additional stuff done which doesn't feel right!

2. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

Yes, it is certainly like that at all the schools I have worked in. I think it is just part of the job now.

3. Yes in my last 2 schools it has been like this, even when you have 2 parents evenings that week there are still more things added on top.

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Yes, there is always something extra. You get used to it. Just don't try to do everything straight away.

5. Yes it does in mine!

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

the more senior (i.e. not much teaching to do) staff you have the more extras will appear in your pigeon hole! As they meet their targets for promotion, latest task for their M.Ed etc.
    One school I worked in appointed a new head, who promptly re organised; ending up with 13 deptuty heads, assistant deputy heads and other senior roles. You can imagine how many extra bits of paper arrived each week.
    We all became very good at ignoring the first request and waiting for a red request before we did anything.

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

My husband (a secondary school teacher)is always going on about 'clearing the decks' - doing everything that needs to be done. Never happened - not once in donkeys' years. And it's just the same in Primary.
    In teaching here is always something that needs doing, should be done, could do with being done and it is getting worse, without doubt. Worst job in the world for a perfectionist!

8. Sorry to say but the 3 schools I have worked in are all the same!! The school I am in now is the worst for this, but can´t complain as I have a great class and work collegues which make up for it!

9. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

I have things coming out of my ears. I don't know whether I am coming or going half the time but I am always armed with my to-do list!

10. tange

tange New commenter

YEP definitely in ours too! Logged onto laptop at 7 - spent last 3 hours ploughing through and replying to 34 work related e-mails! Not a happy chappy tonight!

11. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Yep, always more to do. Nobody ever comes along and says, "You can stop doing that... it's just been a waste of your time..." The trick is to START to do these things, but usually after 18 months, enough will have changed for you to give it up. (New head, new subject coordinator, new year group, new topics, new curriculum, new ofsted requirements) . I make it a rule to ALWAYS bin any bits of paper handed to me in staff meetings. Seldom have I regretted this.

12. Strangerkat

Strangerkat New commenter

Queenio, I simply find this quite incredible that people who choose to take the work home, complain about the amount of work they are doing out of school hours. No matter how many years of practice you have behind the back. I never give out my PERSONAL email to anyone work-related, to avoid work slipping into my private life. If you choose to waste your own time replying to work emails - it is up to you, which definitely does now deserve and ounce of empathy from other people (and by the way, doesn't make you a better teacher). Manage your time better and then you will work in the working time and live a life in home time.

13. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Strangerkat - fair comment. I don't enjoy working outside of work hours but unfortunately with staff meetings/planning meetings/other stuff I don't always get all of my work done. Hopefully I will gain your superior organisation skills as I get more experienced.

14. tange

tange New commenter

Unfortunately, this is the way things work at my school. Everything is communicated by e-mail. If I didn't log on at home I would be even further behind. I certainly don't waste my time replying I waste my time trying to keep on top of the ridiculous demands that keep pouring in because we know that OFSTED will be paying a visit very soon.
    Please share some of your expertise - other than not sharing your e-mail address with anybody - what other time saving genius ideas do you have?