1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does this government have a plan or is it just a case of continuous crisis management?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Aug 13, 2020.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like we seem to just stumble from one crisis to another with no forward strategic plan?
    The latest mess and confusion over English exam results seems to be another example of ill thought through solutions to problems that many knew were on the horizon several months ago. I heard a report that the body responsible for appeals basically knew nothing about this decision. Surely they should have been consulted about this.
    I have also recently read reports that the US trade deal is on hold due to Covid and elections and New Zealand described our negotiators as naive with no clear idea about what they wanted.
    Surely if the people in power thought it would be a good idea to go it alone, then they would have had some ideas about what they wanted our trading position with others to be.
    I despair of the fact that we have another four years of this. Even though I wouldn't be surprised if Boris resigns who on earth has the vigour and ideas to take this country forward?

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Anybody of any substance has been weeded out of the cabinet to make place for the Brexiteer yes-men and yes-women. Too many inexperienced types, lacking in calibre. It is a national embarrassment. This morning's A Level results fiasco is just one more example of their incompetence and cluelessness. I despair!

3. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 Occasional commenter

A lack of long term and pro-active planning, accompanied by constant electioneering. Sad state of affairs.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

When they were voted in they seemed to assume it was all about getting Brexit done. Wheel out Bojo the Clown to be all upbeat, wacky and keep trotting out simple slogans and tell everyone it was all going so terribly well.

Now there's actual governing to do and they're too conflicted by their ideology to be effective while led by someone who doesn't do details and can't plan for next week unless it's "Lets do something great next week!".

I'm sure the apologists will be along to claim that it is impossible to ever know what to do and what is happening is inevitable and the best that could be hoped for. :rolleyes:

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If there are any plans for anything - they are kept very secret.

Johnson can barely get himself out of bed in the morning - you have to assume his role is actually "governing" is very limited.

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Examination assessment is not really a government activity, is it?

newposter and emerald52 like this.
  7. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

To be slightly fair, the present exams fiasco has happened because the cancelling of exams has laid bare for all who have wit to see, the utter wrongness that are educational data and the egregious misuse of them in Education. The facile, naive and simply wrong idea that you can treat education as a deterministic process (that ignores that the students themselves have widely differing backgrounds and also have agency), and so asserts that comparisons between this year's and previous years cohorts have meaning, then projects trend lines from which one then reverse engineers individual "outcomes" has been going on for so so long (pupil performance targets) that there is no one outside those who are or have practiced in the classroom to point out its fallacy, and a whole gravy train load of hangers on and trough feeders to leap to its defence and assert its "fairness" in triple decked soundbites..

...and all that data misuse IS a government activity...

8. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

Keep in mind that our PM did Classics and Germany's did Quantum Chemistry. Nothing against Classics if you want to be a Historian etc but I feel like a scientific background is more suited for today's challenges.

With all the Oxford PPE drones in government, I wonder how many of them have any expertise in anything.

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Look, can't you all just pretend everything has gone great, and will continue to do so?

You're upsetting people and talking the country down

Come on, chin up.

[​IMG]

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

As with all previous Labour and Conservative governments, the strategic plan is laid down in the election manifesto. A manifesto, though, cannot anticipate the unexpected, such as the Coronavirus crisis and the impact that had had on exams and much else.

11. install

install Star commenter

There is no plan - a bit like the scene in ‘Angry Birds 2’

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Actually I don't think Gove is incompetent. He may be many other things...

13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I would hate to be in control of this situation wit the world and his brother offering advice after the event. 20-20 vision in hindsight is just fab. ;)

14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Of course it has a plan:
    To build a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland - both of which may well have left the UK within 10 years.

15. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

there was an awful lot of foresight saying that things would go badly. hindsight is just more evidence.

lizziescat and chelsea2 like this.
  16. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

I think you’ll find they are away on holiday so no one is in charge?

littlejackhorner and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  17. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

A good time to take a break I'd say.

18. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

They're not just (mis)managing crises, they're actively creating them.

ajrowing and littlejackhorner like this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter