1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does this count as crossing a picket line?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lostkitten, Jun 29, 2011.

1. I'm going into my new school tomorrow to hand over my CRB documents and collect information for September. The school is open but some teachers are striking.

Is it ok for me to still go in, even if it means crossing a picket line? Do pickets try to intimidate those coming into the school?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I very much doubt there will be a picket line.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd be amazed if any teacher tried to 'intimidate' a new member of staff who wasn't even turning up for work. Actually I'd be horrified and would expect them to face disciplinary action.

If you need to go in and hand in paperwork then go. You will be fine, don't worry about it.

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

In my understanding pickets can only 'challenge' members of their own union crossing the line in order to work.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Intimidation at the picket line is a criminal offence. If there are any picketers there they may try to persuade you into not crossing. If they turn nasty, simply get out your phone and start recording things.