1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does the school you first attended still exist?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Does your own first school still exist?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2016.
  1. No

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Yes

22 vote(s)
    51.2%
  3. Yes but the name has changed

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. Yes and something else has changed

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Following on from a similar thread, I attacked google and the street view to look at my own primary school... it still exists with the same name (I think), though the age range has changed from 4-9 to 2-11.

You?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Still there - slightly bigger (OK a lot bigger) than it was but essentially the same site (and the same football pitch with a massive slope on it).

No idea what it's population is now but in my day it was 51 (that's from 4 to 11)

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Yes, mine's still there and doing very well.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The old 19th century village C of E school I first attended was demolished in the late 60s and is now flats. The replacement school building is still around and my sister works there as a TA.

By coincidence there's an almost identical 19th century C of E school where I live now, a hundred miles away. It's also flats, but wasn't demolished. I can still get nostalgic by proxy whenever I walk to the Post Office.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My Secondary School definitely doesn't.
    Been amalgamated with the neighbouring Boys Grammar and even that has now amalgamated with another local School. Times are hard for Independents.
    I remember there was a lot of news coverage when they wanted to knock down the building . It was a beautiful building too. So it's now been converted into luxurious apartments.
    Off to google my last Primary now. My 'first' one was demolished when I was in Year 3 when we moved into a brand new building, amalgamating with another local village school, which was still there when I googled it a couple of years back but now?

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I wonder, what are the chances of someone reading this who teaches (or has taught) at my first school?

upload_2015-12-20_16-41-52.png

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Mine's still there and apart from some newer additions to the building and the removal of the air raid shelters it doesn't seem to have changed much.
    Surprising given how long ago I left

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Just googled.
    Last Primary School is indeed still there and from the photographs still looks pretty much the same. Paint a bit brighter perhaps?

My first Secondary, a beautiful Art deco building, however is sadly not. Now a horrible glas monstrosity with a new Academised name!:(

9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Just thought I'd mention that my youngest daughter goes to the same Primary school that her great-grandmother went to nearly 100 years ago. The name is very slightly different and it has been modernised but still looks almost exactly the same.

Lara mfl 05 and Didactylos4 like this.
  10. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Just looked for my first school. Now a separate Junior and infants, both of which are four form entry! Huge.

The most significant memory I have is outside toilets and shiny loo paper! I am in my late 40s so no comments, you youngsters!!

11. Lara mfl 05

For those of you reading and wondering why I had so many schools, 2 Primaries and 2 secondaries, my father had Wanderlust.
    He would have moved even more, if it hadn't been for not wanting to disrup my schooling at significant times, my schooling, as he did when I left for UnI!

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh, it's still there. The only school in the village.

HOWEVER! I clicked on the gallery and was confronted by THIS!

"Whose has been eating my porridge"

1 so they're no good at grammar
    2 they don't check their work

And that's the TEACHERS! Not impressed. Mind you, only 6 out of 44 of us went to grammar school and that was probably a "good" year.

13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yes. I walk past it every now and again and aside from a playground being converted to car parking it looks just the same.

14. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

My primary school closed when I was in 3rd year Juniors (Year 5 to you youngsters!) We were aalgamated with another school on another site.

My old school then became the LA Teachers Centre for several years and I even went back there to do a first aid course, when I first started teaching. I was shocked how tiny everything was!

A few years later the local population increased again and it reopened - it's now an academy and about 98% Bangladeshi/Pakistani. It looks to be thriving!

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Having just googled it I see it still exists - same name but a very different intake from the predominantly white working class Eastend cohort as I knew it back in the '60s.

http://www.stebon.org.uk/

Glad it is still thriving.

16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I just surprised myself by getting a bit emotional when I looked at my first school's website. It looks EXACTLY the same.

foxtail3 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

A big shock when I googled my 3 primary schools. The first has been replaced by a much more modern building quite near the original site. When I saw the second, it was like going back i time and made me catch my breath. The 3rd school, the most modern at the time, is no longer a school.

Funnily enough, I still, very occasionally, have dreams about my first school.

18. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Sadly, my primary school closed the year I left to go to senior school and everyone had to move to a bigger primary about three miles away. At the time there were only eight in the junior class and thirteen in the infants. The Head covered the juniors in the morning and the whole school in the afternoon, with an infant teacher just teaching in the morning. Only two of us took the 11+ and went onto the Grammar schools which were eight miles away.

It was sold in 1968 for £2,000 and was bought by an artist, later converted into two holiday flats which I now believe are homes. A beautiful granite building which I still occasionally dream about, in which it reverts to being a school again. Happy memories.

My dad went to school there though in his day everyone left education at 14 to go on to work. He did pass an exam to go onto the Grammar school I think but his family needed him to start to bring home a wage. He always seemed to have a rather negative attitude to education but his 4 children all went onto further education and I think in later years that his attitude was all to do with him resenting his lost opportunities and the fact that his life was all about work and responsibilities from an early age. He never actually said it, but I think in the end he was proud of us all. Not a demonstrative man!

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I just did the street view thing on my primary school. It looks exactly the same as it did in 1958 when I started there, and probably the same as it did when it was built in 1897, however the surrounding area has completely changed.

The school was originally named after the school board that established it, but was always known locally after the pub next door and by the time I went there, the school had formally adopted this name.

Of course, it's impossible to say whether it was a good school at the time I attended it or whether I'd have done better somewhere else. My memories of it are happy ones and it would be a lie to say it did me any harm, however the school's name has been changed in more recent years and in 2013 was placed in special measures.

Interestingly, the secondary school I went to was reckoned to be the finest state school in the area at the time I attended, but when I checked on it some years ago, it had acquired a poor reputation after I left. Had been in special measures too and had several name changes.

I find it difficult to comprehend how a school's reputation can alter so much. I realise the staff who taught me will be long gone by now, so the quality of teaching might have changed, however the same will be true of schools in the private sector which never appear to suffer the same indignity of losing a good reputation. Can you imagine the uproar there would be if Eton needed to have it's name changed?

20. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Just read your post Dragonlady. You have dreams as well! Having recently retired, I occasionally dream about what I am going to do when I leave school and taking my O levels!