1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does the school at which you first started teaching still exist?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Does the school at which you first started teaching still exist?

1. Yes, it still exists as it was.

44.8%
  2. Yes, but has changed name or become an academy.

34.5%
  3. Yes, but has changed age range.

3.4%
  4. No, it no longer exists.

17.2%
  1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The school at which I cut my teeth as a young (and misguidedly enthusiastic) teacher in the early 1970s was closed and demolished in the late 80s.

After talking with several colleagues it seems that few would be able to visit their first teaching school and find something they would recognise.

Do other posters know whether their first teaching school is still a going concern?

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Yes, it still exists but will never cross the threshold while the present head is still there!! :mad:

magic surf bus likes this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Mine's still there, and surprisingly it would appear it's not an academy.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Mine is still there but the school I retired from has closed.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Mine is still there but strangely it is now the site of a previous school in the area. School A was in Street X and school B was in street Y. School B merged with school C on school C's site and school A closed at Street X and moved to the former school B site in street Y.

To complicate matters further school C was my teaching practice school. :p

6. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Mine does., It was, and is, a relatively small secondary school in an ex-mining village.

I was there throughout the 80s and many of the same staff are still there.

Happy memories.

Edit: I don't know how it has survived without 'academisation' as all the nearby schools have succumbed.

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Mine remains extant and unchanged (apart from the staff who have all gone)
    I'm really surprised by that

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Mine is still there ( and so am I, 12 years in the same school:rolleyes:)

9. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

Yes. Mine still exists but none of the choices seems to apply. It's not as it was when I was there - has been extended so much with PFI funding that it doesn't look like the same building at all.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I swore the same about the last school I taught in full-time. I didn't do supply there when it was offered.

The first school I taught in was a a boys' secondary modern. It's now a boys' academy, although I'm pretty certain the borough still has selection.

11. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Yes, it is still there and its not even an academy. The only difference between now and 1991 is that it has been divided into separate Junior and Infant schools; it was joint when I taught there.

12. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless New commenter

I destroyed it myself.

cissy3 likes this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Still there - but now part of an academy chain.

It couldn't really be a lot worse now than it was when I was there - it was brutal.

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sadly mine doesn't. But I ended up teaching back there in the year theyclosed it and had my picture taken with 3 out of the 4 Heads who'd led the School, when we had a huge party to collect old and new staff together.

Made me realise how privileged I was to have started off my career there- even f it was in a half-finished building and I didn't have a classroom, but taught in 3 dining bays! No blackboard and we used the outside space as much as possible.

Certainly challenged my teaching and gave me such a good start to enhance my 'good practice' Throughout its history had some superb staff too!

nomad likes this.
  15. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Yes. I've just looked on googe earth and it looks pretty much the same, although I think the huts I spent my first year teaching in have been taken down and I think perhaps replaced with something more permanent.

The first school I had a permanent contract in after I moved has closed though. It was very small - just one teacher for about the half the time I was there. When I left it went back down to 1 teacher and as the numbers got smaller and smaller it was no longer viable and the few children left went to the local schools.
    The building was converted to a house.

The school I retired from is still on the go - just - but I think it is suffering death by a thousand cuts!

16. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

I had no idea that was closed in 2002. Apparently, the teachers tried to buy it and the owner-head refused. That head was the shadiest person I have ever met.

17. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

The buildings of the school at which I first started were pulled down and a brand new academy built on the site.

18. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Snap. One ugly building was replaced by an even uglier one. It was supposed to look 'cutting edge', but looks like a prison IMO.

19. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@rachelpaula008:

It went from this:

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

The new academy reminds of the Tomb of the Cybermen, from Dr Who.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I recently looked for it on Google Earth as the area was mentioned in a book I was reading (Danny Baker's autobiography) and it apparently closed some years ago.