1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does the 'nice middle class' school exist? Or teacher training?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by joannakay, Jan 15, 2012.

1. <font face="Calibri">Hello,</font><font face="Calibri">I believe I am a good teacher as I have had many good/outstanding observations. I have worked in 2 different inner city primary schools and while I love teaching, I feel a bit fatigued with the constant demands and emotional pressures. I was constantly working and had a very poor work-life balance.</font><font face="Calibri">I am currently working for a charity in a teacher training college abroad and loving it. My post is only for one year though and I must return to the UK in December 2012.</font><font face="Calibri">I think I would like to work in a &lsquo;nice middle class&rsquo; school that is doing well, where maybe the pressures aren&rsquo;t so great. However, I am deceiving myself? Do schools like this exist?</font><font face="Calibri">Alternatively I could look into teacher training&hellip; does anyone have any advice on how to get into teacher training?</font> <font size="3">Thanks for your help.</font><font face="Calibri">Jo</font>

2. <font face="Calibri">Hello,</font><font face="Calibri">I believe I am a good teacher as I have had many good/outstanding observations. I have worked in 2 different inner city primary schools and while I love teaching, I feel a bit fatigued with the constant demands and emotional pressures. I was constantly working and had a very poor work-life balance.</font><font face="Calibri">I am currently working for a charity in a teacher training college abroad and loving it. My post is only for one year though and I must return to the UK in December 2012.</font><font face="Calibri">I think I would like to work in a &lsquo;nice middle class&rsquo; school that is doing well, where maybe the pressures aren&rsquo;t so great. However, I am deceiving myself? Do schools like this exist?</font><font face="Calibri">Alternatively I could look into teacher training&hellip; does anyone have any advice on how to get into teacher training?</font> <font size="3">Thanks for your help.</font><font face="Calibri">Jo</font>

3. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

I began my career in an inner-city school. Moved afterwards to a middle-of-the-range school. Work now in an outstanding school that makes me feel effective. Key thing for me is, though, is its rurality, and a few other factors. Back in the day (before the current climate) I pulled out of two interviews with 'good' schools because the 'feel' wasn't right for me (kids standing like sentinels outside 80% of classrooms in one, and Year 7 kids refusing to be silent for the HoD before the observation lesson started in the other. Not great signs.)

Great work/life balance is possible, didn't work at all yesterday save some thoughts and research about literature, and have some friends and their new sprog coming round today. Will do 4-5 hours of casual work (largely paper-work and planning) this evening, and that's it. Decide what you're going to do properly, and what you're going to do for a length a time. I have a detailed calendar and to-do list, so if I'm asked to do something else and someone won't take no for an answer, I'll ask what I should drop to complete their task. Worked for me so far.

In regards to delivering ITT, I imagine getting in touch with your local universities to offer some CPD would be a good start? And in your own school, too? Good luck!