1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does the male primary teacher enjoy promotion quicker than the female?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by potatoes5, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Was discussing this the other day and thought I'd like some more opinion. I taught secondary all my time, but more recently it seems the face of the primary Head Teacher is getting younger and younger, and is quite often a male.

Do men get promoted quicker than woman just down to the fact they are men?

Are men better Head's in Primary?

Is it a case of ability and performance that gets you the job, or if there's a man in the shortleet has he got the job before the interview has started?

Discuss!

2. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

Given the anti-male bias in primary selection I'm surprises there are any men in that sector to be promoted.

3. From govt. key statistics:
    <li class="MsoNormal">In 2005, women were 93% of primary In 2005, women were 59% of secondary school teachers and men were 41%. Women were 21% of head teachers, and men were 79%.So it would seem there is a gender bias in favour of men in both sectors, but it's wildly more pronounced in secondary. I doubt that the situation has been reversed in the last 6 years, though it may have eased.

4. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

To fairly judge if there was a real gender bias surely you'd have to also know the difference in the number of men and women applying for these jobs AND being interviewed, would you not?

5. Not really, because there's everything that happens before the point of application. Are men more likely to be encouraged to apply for senior positions than women? Are men more likely than women to aspire to leadership, and if so why? I agree that you can spot direct bias from numbers of men and women applying for these jobs and being interviewed, but there's more to it than that.

6. Have never understood the fascination with this particular statistic - in my view what is more important is how well the job is done after the successfull candidate has been appointed & not whether that candidate was either male or female.
    As to HT's getting younger and younger - perhaps that simply reflects the unwillingness of the wise older heads to put up with the **** that the job entails nowadays!

7. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Those are quite interesting figures especially when one considers the difficulties some female teachers experienced in the not-so-distant past.
    Prior to 1940, I believe some LAs automatically terminated women teachers' contracts when they married and it was some time before they were even considered for promoted posts. In fact, during the 1950s it was not unusual for a male secondary teacher to be appointed as head teacher of a primary school as a form of promotion.
    Also, right up until the 1980s it was common for female staff to take a break in service when starting a family, only returning to teaching when their youngest child was ready for school. With the availability of flexible working, and financial / employment pressures, that practice is now far less common.
    Whilst I'm sure many staff could give examples of both effective, and ineffective, male and female head teachers, there is one observation I would make about the largely female, primary school environment.
    Some female teachers seem to accept a level of verbal abuse and rudeness from some female head teachers that they would never accept from a male head teacher.
    Of course, that could just be because a male head teacher with any sense is wary of a potential charge of sexual harassment or, at the very least, doesn't dare risk the wrath of an all female staff.
    However, I could be wrong. [​IMG]

8. sbf

sbf

Maybe men are just better. [​IMG]

9. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I've tended to prefer female leadership in my experience. The woman who have been in charge have been very efficient yet approachable. The men had been less approachable and less transparent in what they actually do. Of course, my experience is rather limited. Does anyone care to share if they've preferred male or female heads?