1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does the Kids Skills behaviour approach work?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by KieronT, Mar 31, 2016.

1. KieronT

KieronT New commenter

A colleague of mine swears by it - she has 2 children in her class with fairly high behaviour needs and she said she has 'come out of the other end' with the approach. Might get the book and give it a go. Anyone else used this? Is it as simple as it sounds? Thanks.

2. mrduffy

mrduffy New commenter

I've used Kids' Skills with a number of pupils and it has worked reakly well. I had a year 3 girl in my class who was causing a lot of problems with her behaviour - and for me it was using up a lot of time and energy. The Kids' Skills approach provided a simple framework for creating a skill that she could work towards - hers was 'the giraffe skill' which involved her walking sensibly along the corridor (instead of causing mayhem by bumping into other children). We talked about what the skill involved and we made sure we noticed it as often as possible. This was great for me as I could focus on the possible instead which is less draining! We used a simple scaling system and used simple questions such as 'how can we get from a 7 to an 8?' Although this was just one skill it was clear that her behaviour was improving generally with staff noticing a change in her. She enjoyed the positive attention (possibly for the first time in her school life) and her parents were thrilled too.
    Ben Furman's Kids' Skills book outlines everything simply enough. Good luck!

3. mrduffy

mrduffy New commenter

I presume not many areas of the UK are using this approach, it would be interesting to know.......

4. KieronT

KieronT New commenter

I started using Kids' Skills last week and I have to say it has already made a very good impact. The year 3 boy I'm using it with is a bit of a nightmare but I thought I'd start with a 'stealth skill' - this involves him coming into class quietly and calmly and sitting ready for the lesson. I sat down and we agreed he was a 3 out of 10 - he was always very disruptive when coming into the classroom and caused others to join in too. I'm going to meet with him again tomorrow but I reckon he is about an 8/9 out of 10 for this skill - amazing considering! I know this is early days and it is only one skill but it seems to be working. His general behaviour also seems to be improving although he is far from perfect. I guess he likes the structure of it all as well as the positive comments. Yes, I'm working hard on this but it's nowhere near as draining as before! Next skill ready...!

5. KieronT

KieronT New commenter

Update on my Y3 boy using Kids' Skills...
    He continued to come into class sensibly and calmly and has since completed this skill. There have been a few small blips but the change is amazing considering how he was before. We had a small celebration with biscuits and drinks and he invited a few of his friends. He wanted to know what he could do next as a skill - it's great that he is identifying how he needs to change rather than me!
    I'm thinking about who to start on next..

Kartoshka likes this.
  6. KieronT

KieronT New commenter

Just about the end of the school year. I would highly recommend using the Kids' Skills approach just like I have done this year. It's clear that a lot of my year has been made a lot easier due to this. I'm also satisfied I've done my bit to change his behaviour for the better. On a scale of 0-10 I'll give myself a 10!

galerider123 likes this.
  7. KieronT

KieronT New commenter

Over four weeks in and I'm getting a pretty good measure on my class and their different behaviours. I've got one Y6 girl who shows classic ADHD traits but mum chooses not to go down the health route at this time... I therefore am managing the behaviours through the kids skills approach. Her skill is a very simple one that she will complete by the end of the week but it shows her that she is in control of her behaviour (she had said previously that she wasn't) and also sends her a message that I am looking out for the positive behaviour.
    I'm also helping out an NQT who needs a bit of support with one child refusing to do any work. The heavy handed approach has backfired a bit but she is already getting some success with kids skills.

8. mrduffy

mrduffy New commenter

Just reread Ben Furman's book 'playful and practical solution finding with children.' Inspired me to start some skills with 1 or 2 of my class. Not sure why I stopped using this - has almost always worked for me.