1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does the ATL really fight for your rights?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Frank_Hank, May 17, 2016.

1. Frank_Hank

Frank_Hank New commenter

I am having doubts about my union, ATL. I am a teacher with a mental health disability and I am made redundant. I am challenging it. My first rep seemed to think I had a good case on the grounds of discrimination (I wont go into details) of how the selection was made. Unfortunately my 1st rep has gone on holiday for 3 weeks and I now have a new rep who is very downbeat about it all. I am becoming increasingly depressed. I have been off sick since the first meeting with the governors. Does anyone else have experience of the ATL in similar cases? Do they have the stomach to fight my case or should I look elsewhere for help?

2. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

If you are not happy with your regional rep speak to head office. My ATL rep was very good and really supported me over and above. However had the union become involved more quickly when I first asked for help the situation I ended up with might never have happened. I had to do quite a lot of chasing at head office to get support but my rep was great.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Frank_Hank

Frank_Hank New commenter

Thank you, Rooney.

4. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Mine was excellent and an ex employment solicitor so knew their stuff. A friend in a different area, albeit many years ago, wasn't so proactive. Go higher if need be. I found head office very helpful even though the offices were about to shut. I still remember the lady who first got my blubbering phone call, running down a few flights of steps to take the phone to a rep with more expertise. If you are off sick at the moment, can you wait 3 weeks until your normal rep returns. You can also ask to speak to their solicitor.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Do ATL fight for your rights?

In my experience - no. Join edapt.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. knowsnowt

knowsnowt New commenter

I left them when they rolled over and accepted the government's pension and pay raid.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. blueskies31

blueskies31 Occasional commenter

They were flipping useless when I needed some support and advice.

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

My husband was in ATL - could not fault them . I was in NASUWT - just useless when I needed them once at the end of a 30 year career Suspect it depends on the quality of the reps in situ.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I joined the NAS on my PGCE course and I only called on its help at the end of my career, and it did a first-class job. Eight years ago, when the school had a round of redundancies most of us felt rather abandoned, as none of our unions sent anyone to talk to us.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The ATL were very helpful to my father when he retired from teaching.

I'm a member but have had no need to call on their services so far

11. stevejp65

stevejp65 New commenter

Had a major problem a few years ago, followed shortly thereafter by a separate issue. ATL (three different staff, plus union-appointed solicitor) very efficient and helpful on both occasions. As others have said, I suspect that a lot depends on the competence and case-load of the individual assigned to help you. No complaints from me!