1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does the 16 month supply rule count for work I did before I qualified?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by merturtle, Apr 19, 2012.

1. merturtle

merturtle New commenter

Apologies if this has already been asked somewhere!
    I finished my course in Jan 2011 and gained QTS in March 2011. I was employed on a maternity cover post from Jan-July (as the school were confident I would pass my course!) but of course could only complete a term of my induction, seeing as I didn't have QTS until the March.
    Towards the end of my course, I registered with a few agencies in the hope of finding work, and did a couple of days general supply cover as an unqualified teacher, paid at the lowest supply rate. Then I luckily found my maternity cover post and did no more supply (due to it being very very quiet) until Jan or Feb of this year (2012).
    My question is, when does the 16 month supply rule start for me? I had always presumed it started from the first day I did any supply, e.g. Dec 2011. This means I will need to apply for an extension in July, which my LEA have said they will almost certainly grant, but if I don't manage to secure an induction post within the following 12 months, I will have to stop teaching both supply and also as a peripatetic teacher (although I'm not sure about this, as I teach 1-to-1 vocal lessons, not whole classes, and I have quite a few colleagues working for the same Music service as me who have never completed induction, but are still working as peris - has no-one noticed or was I misinformed?!).
    However, it has now ocurred to me that maybe the supply I did before I qualified shouldn't be counted? Obviously, if it wasn't, this would be great as it would buy me a lot more time - but I don't want to get into any trouble.
    Having called the teaching enquiry line, I was directed to the DfE website, which doesn't answer my specific question. Any advice would be very welcome!

2. merturtle

merturtle New commenter

Apologies if this has already been asked somewhere!
    I finished my course in Jan 2011 and gained QTS in March 2011. I was employed on a maternity cover post from Jan-July (as the school were confident I would pass my course!) but of course could only complete a term of my induction, seeing as I didn't have QTS until the March.
    Towards the end of my course, I registered with a few agencies in the hope of finding work, and did a couple of days general supply cover as an unqualified teacher, paid at the lowest supply rate. Then I luckily found my maternity cover post and did no more supply (due to it being very very quiet) until Jan or Feb of this year (2012).
    My question is, when does the 16 month supply rule start for me? I had always presumed it started from the first day I did any supply, e.g. Dec 2011. This means I will need to apply for an extension in July, which my LEA have said they will almost certainly grant, but if I don't manage to secure an induction post within the following 12 months, I will have to stop teaching both supply and also as a peripatetic teacher (although I'm not sure about this, as I teach 1-to-1 vocal lessons, not whole classes, and I have quite a few colleagues working for the same Music service as me who have never completed induction, but are still working as peris - has no-one noticed or was I misinformed?!).
    However, it has now ocurred to me that maybe the supply I did before I qualified shouldn't be counted? Obviously, if it wasn't, this would be great as it would buy me a lot more time - but I don't want to get into any trouble.
    Having called the teaching enquiry line, I was directed to the DfE website, which doesn't answer my specific question. Any advice would be very welcome!

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

It's from the first day you started as a qualified teacher.
    So, for you, the first day of non-inductable supply you did after March 2011.
    (It's the qualified bit that matters. There's no limit on the supply you can do as a TA or CS - but you cannot work at all now as an "unqualifed teacher" because you aren't one of those..)

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

PaulDG is spot on.
    You didn't eat into any of your 16 month allowance when you worked at that school as the qualified bit was on Induction.
    Establish when the first day of supply teaching was (not CS work if you have taken that as well as supply teaching) and that's the strat of your allowance.
    New developments mean that those who are currently within their 16 month allowance, or any extension period granted by their LA after their 16 months has expired, now have a 5 yr allowance to be able to accept non-Induction teaching if they haven't managed to get enough/any Induction terms. The 5 years will cover the period from the first date of non-Induction qualified teaching.

5. Sorry to butt in with a very specific question, but reading your post Jubilee I think this may have a huge impact on my life!
    I gained QTS in Aug 2008 and then had PT induction (0.5FTE). I manged to get 2 full terms of induction before having to stop working because of family illness. Started doing supply in March 2011 and now starting to panic about getting induction sorted. Happy and busy on supply and don't particularly want to stop but have started to apply for inductible posts because 'time is running out'. LEA absolutely fine about 16month extension, not needed until summer half-term but agreed.
    Could you tell me where to look please , or clarify what you think my present position is. I am really confused about it all now.
    Many thanks

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

What I believe your position is is, well, exactly what you think it is.. Your 16 month limit runs out in the Summer and that your LEA will apparently extend it by a year.
    What none of us knows for certain, because the changes haven't been voted on yet, are if you'll end up with a "5 years to do supply since qualification" or if the old limit will apply or if something else entirely will ultimately apply.
    What I can say is:
    That is exactly why there was a time limit in the first place - the government didn't want there to be a system where teachers could avoid induction by doing supply. From the policy maker's point of view, the "supply limit" should be zero, it is only the fact that many have protested that inductable posts are few and far between for many subjects or age ranges that means there's an option to do supply before induction at all.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There were several posts on here last week telling us about the new development.
    Those who qualify this year will have a 5 yr supply allowance.
    Those currently serving their 16 month allowance or their agreed LA extension, will be able to avail themselves of a 5 year period, daying form the first day of their 16 month initial allowance.
    I'll have a look for the posts later.

8. Dancing Butterfly

Dancing Butterfly New commenter

I thought that once you had started NQT induction, (ie one term on a temp contract), that the 16 months no longer applied. It's a while since I was an NQT though, so I'm probably wrong :)

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

No, but that was common misunderstanding that appears to have been circulated by private agencies that wanted to keep employing cheaper candidates!
    The supply allowances have always, and will always, limit the amount of non-Induction teaching that you can do before COMPLETING Induction.