1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does the 16 month rule apply to supply done pre-QTS?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by merturtle, Apr 19, 2012.

1. merturtle

merturtle New commenter

Dear Sage
    I finished my PGCE in Jan 2011 but my QTS certificate is dated March 2011 (OU, had to wait for the next award board). I was employed on a maternity cover post immediately after my course from Jan-July 2011 (initially unqualified, although the school was confident I would get QTS), but of course could only complete one term of induction between gaining QTS in March and finishing in July.
    Since then, I have continued to work as a peripatetic music teacher giving one-to-one singing lessons and running a twilight GCSE class, and have done a small amount of supply which started in Jan 2012.
    My question is this - towards the end of my course in Dec 2010 I registered with a few agencies and did a couple of days of supply. I know about the 16 month rule and had always presumed it counted from the first bit of supply I did - meaning I need to apply for an extension soon. But now I am wondering if the supply in Dec 2010 would have counted, as I didn't get QTS until March 2011? I have called the Teaching enquiry line, but they could only refer me back to the DfE website, which didn't answer my question.
    I have been told by the LEA that an extension will probably be granted, but of course it would be good if the 16 months didn't start until Jan this year, as that would give me longer to find that elusive post (have applied for everything remotely local but only 2 interviews in 12 months)!
    Also, the LEA contact said that peripatetic work counted as supply for the purposes of the 16 month rule - is this true? I have colleagues at the music service who never did their induction, but are still working as peris, has nobody noticed?! I can't understand how giving one-to-one vocal lessons in a school counts as supply (it won't count towards my induction, even though it is a permanent post, because it doesn't involve whole classes or meet the Q standards). I can see how the GCSE teaching I do could count as supply - which would mean my 16 month clock started ticking in Sept 2011 presumably (as before that I was qualified but in a post working towards induction)?
    I'd be grateful for any advice! Thanks

2. merturtle

merturtle New commenter

Dear Sage
    I finished my PGCE in Jan 2011 but my QTS certificate is dated March 2011 (OU, had to wait for the next award board). I was employed on a maternity cover post immediately after my course from Jan-July 2011 (initially unqualified, although the school was confident I would get QTS), but of course could only complete one term of induction between gaining QTS in March and finishing in July.
    Since then, I have continued to work as a peripatetic music teacher giving one-to-one singing lessons and running a twilight GCSE class, and have done a small amount of supply which started in Jan 2012.
    My question is this - towards the end of my course in Dec 2010 I registered with a few agencies and did a couple of days of supply. I know about the 16 month rule and had always presumed it counted from the first bit of supply I did - meaning I need to apply for an extension soon. But now I am wondering if the supply in Dec 2010 would have counted, as I didn't get QTS until March 2011? I have called the Teaching enquiry line, but they could only refer me back to the DfE website, which didn't answer my question.
    I have been told by the LEA that an extension will probably be granted, but of course it would be good if the 16 months didn't start until Jan this year, as that would give me longer to find that elusive post (have applied for everything remotely local but only 2 interviews in 12 months)!
    Also, the LEA contact said that peripatetic work counted as supply for the purposes of the 16 month rule - is this true? I have colleagues at the music service who never did their induction, but are still working as peris, has nobody noticed?! I can't understand how giving one-to-one vocal lessons in a school counts as supply (it won't count towards my induction, even though it is a permanent post, because it doesn't involve whole classes or meet the Q standards). I can see how the GCSE teaching I do could count as supply - which would mean my 16 month clock started ticking in Sept 2011 presumably (as before that I was qualified but in a post working towards induction)?
    I'd be grateful for any advice! Thanks

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

No it is only supply work after gaining QTS that counts- you need to be aware that the rules will change this year to scrap the 16 month rule and replace it with a flat 5 years from QTS.

4. ONly daily supply done after you gained QTS would count under the current 16 month rule, and, as noted above the rules will change from this September.
    The Sage