1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does teaching assistant involvement in speech and language benefit the child?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by kelob121, Nov 24, 2010.

1. <font size="2">I am currently a teaching assistant in a primary school whilst studying for a BA honours in Education Studies. As part of my course I have do conduct a enquiry project. My research question is to consider the benefits and drawbacks of teaching assistant involvement in speech and language therapy in primary schools.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">If you have any views on this please express, if you are happy for my to conduct you and ask for further opinions please indicate.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Many thanks [​IMG]</font> Kelly

2. <font size="2">I am currently a teaching assistant in a primary school whilst studying for a BA honours in Education Studies. As part of my course I have do conduct a enquiry project. My research question is to consider the benefits and drawbacks of teaching assistant involvement in speech and language therapy in primary schools.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">If you have any views on this please express, if you are happy for my to conduct you and ask for further opinions please indicate.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Many thanks [​IMG]</font> Kelly

3. Hello Kelly
    I am a part-time TA in a very small primary school currently working for 30 mins a day with a child undergoing s&l therapy. I have not been specifically trained in it and work from sheets left by the visiting s&l therapist. I volunteered to do this as I am interested in it. It's all a bit hit and miss to be honest but if I can help you, please let me know.

4. Hello Kelly,
    It depends on the TA, their understanding of the childs' needs, their experience and skills.
    I have worked 1:1 with an elective mute from Reception to Y3, and have also delivered SPLANG programmes provided by therapists to pupils in a mainstream primary setting.
    If you would like more info, pleae feel free to PM me,
    Good luck with your project [​IMG]

5. Hi Kelly,
    This reply may be a bit late now but thought I would add something in case it's helpful. With regards to speech and language therepy I would find it very hard to cope with monitoring records of each individual pupil in my class without the support of my TA. Having this support enables me to send a small group of children to a separate classroom to focus on areas of literacy such as phonics and speaking and listening skills. Over time the TA invariably builds a strong (more personal) relationship with these pupils and as a result the pupils often respond more positively to this adult than the class teacher. This leads to the pupils being both happier and more productive in lessons. As long as there is a high level of communication between the teacher and TA I believe it benefits all pupils in the class to have an additional adult in the class. Hope this is helpful. If you have any other queries feel free to ask. I am an NQT by the way.