1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Does Teaching abroad affect my penison?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by groaning, Sep 15, 2020.

  1. groaning

    groaning New commenter

    Hi, I am coming up to retirement age and was asked to register online. The first questions were if I had spent time abroad or worked abroad. As far as I know, I have a reduced pension anyway as I have missed stamps and I have a make up figure to receive the full amount. If I say I have worked abroad, will I lose more of my pensio? I have not taught enough times in another country to earn a pension there.

    I have realised that I have spelled pension wrong, but can't edit that bit.
  2. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    Do you mean State Pension (not TPS)?

    And that you are approaching State Pension Age (not retirement age)?

    This link gives guidance. It looks like it's relevant only if you have less than 10 qualifying years of contributions in the UK but have paid into state pension in another EU country. I don't think having worked abroad will ever reduce your UK SP but in some circumstances it might improve it.

    Best to call Pensions Agency and ask them.

  3. groaning

    groaning New commenter

    Yes, sorry, state pension. They have given me a figure, stating that I have missed years and how much I need to pay to make it up. Thanks for your reply.
  4. groaning

    groaning New commenter

    Thanks for that, I called one of the webistes you gave me and have been told exactly how it is. It may be that I can claim form the countries I've worked in. I don't think so though, but they give me another number to try.
  5. pauljoecoe

    pauljoecoe Occasional commenter

    I assume you are a UK resident/UK Citizen? I don't know how long you worked abroad or where but I would say it was very unlikely you would be entitled to a pension from any of those countries unless you became a permanent resident there. i.e. if you were there as an expat then you won't be entitled to anything.

    I taught in Hong Kong for a while and it is mandatory that you pay into a pension there but that's like a private pension. You are not allowed to take that pension until you are 65.However, if you leave the country people tend to withdraw it as a lump sum and take it with them when they leave.

    Not saying it's the same where you taught but I would have thought you would have been aware if you were paying into pensions where ever you were.
  6. harsh-but-fair

    harsh-but-fair Star commenter

    Does Teaching abroad affect my penison?

    Depends what you put your penison ...
  7. Skeoch

    Skeoch Star commenter

    Some countries have reciprocal state pension agreements. So if you paid into state pension in X country while living and working there, somehow by bureaucratic magic that pension entitlement can migrate to the UK and your state pension. I believe this is mainly European countries.

Share This Page