1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does such an opportunity exist? Beginning to doubt it!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by swindonboy, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Thanks for your input. My reaction is one of relief really- it sounds fine by me- I was aware that the packages are very different (reduced) in Europe, and understand why. I want to live a more 'normal' life, and the kids won't be school age yet anyway. I would like there to be provision for them to attend - that seems reasonable, doesn't it (any responses from European SMT members?), but otherwise I'm not fussed about a package. Is it terribly unrealistic to think that we could survive for a couple of years on only one salary and savings? My partner is an amazing amazing chef, but any language other than English would be a barrier to work. We are very good at budgeting and don't have a great deal of money spare here and are used to it. I know supposedly Spain pays the worst, but are salaries and living costs as challenging everywhere? I am emphatically not looking for an expat bubble / package, I want to live in Europe... Does that make sense? Things I want; seasons; the ability to walk around an area/ a city; a range of beautiful or interesting architecture; parks and other things which my current Asian city seriously lacks. Does it sound as though we might find what we are looking for?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

It is relatively straightforward to find those things in Europe and except for a few countries such as Switzerland ( where I live ) and Norway ( where I have lived ) the cost of living isn't that bad.
    Generally, though, if the cost of living is high then so is the salary.

3. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Belgium. All those things to some degree, decently liveable salaries in the better schools as far as Western Europe goes, and language is not a problem.