1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does South Lan Owe Teachers Thousands?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by missormizz, Aug 28, 2015.

1. missormizz

missormizz New commenter

Just checking what anyone else may know about the situation in my pal's local authority, South Lanarkshire. Seems that ever since the majority of teachers went to "four weekly pay" four/ five years ago, 21 days every year has been "missed" - days usually made up for in pay by "five week months".

I'm the kind of lassie not usually good with figures so this needs bigger brains to work out but on average, each South Lanarkshire Council employed teacher has missed out on between five hundred to two thousand pounds per year.

Meaning each teacher in SLC is owed roughly between 3.5K-8k.

it will be interesting to see if any test case opens the floodgates for compensation in this regard!

2. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

Wasn't this opt-in/out? In any case, the floating 21 days would be a result of transition to the four weekly from monthly salary - which would be carried over. At best each teacher is probably owed a month's salary tops, from this "carried over" 21 days. Not 4x21days' pay.

3. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

You won't need a test case.

If money is owed they'll simply have to fork out.

4. zebedoink

zebedoink New commenter

Certainly wasn't opt-in/out; like everything else it was a cost saving exercise where weekly and fortnightly paid staff were transferred to four-weekly pay, and monthly paid staff, like teachers similarly. It allowed the councils to keep the money for the weekly and fortnightly paid staff in the bank for longer, thus gaining interest for them rather than you. It actually "cost" them for teachers and other monthly paid staff, but these were in the minority overall.

The annual wage was divided by 13 and you get 13 smaller pays over the year, one month having two "pay-days" each year, e.g. 1st and 28th.

The biggest problem is that most people are set up for mortgage, etc. to come off at the end or beginning of month to fit in with monthly pays, 4 weekly pays means you end up being paid in the middle of the month for much of the year, 2-3 days earlier each month.

Can't check my pay slips as I'm now retired and you can only access them on the council intranet but I'm sure I checked at the time.

Where has this "revelation" come from as if I'm owed money I want to know?

5. morrisseyritual

I've done my best to reckon the possible shortfall here.

If we take an average teacher's take-home to be roughly £1750 a month (minus tax, NI, pension etc) and in the case of five week months received around £1950 - and roughly two "five week months" would have occurred each year in the last four - then that's approx net pay of £22500 a year experienced in "final Friday of the month" pay system. In the new four weekly system the approx salary is £22000 at best. I'd suggest - although I'm open to correction! - that about 2k is owed to every teacher in councils who transisted from mobthly to four weekly pay.

6. zebedoink

zebedoink New commenter

Doesn't work that way, you don't get extra pay in a "5 week month", you get 12 equal pays over the year, salary/12. In the 4 week system you get 13 equal pays over the year, salary/13; however 13 x 28 days is 364 days, we are missing a day's pay for every year of 4 week pays as we should be paid for 365 days (I think this is where the discrepancy is).

7. The method South Lanarkshire use to calculate teacher wages is as follows:

Annual salary divide by 261 gives the daily rate (as set out in snct) this daily rate is then multipled by 20(you work 20 days in 4 weeks) however the problem comes now. South Lanarkshire are only actually paying teacher 13 wages of 20 days, 13x20=260. Therefore each year a teacher seems to lose a days pay. South Lanarkshire are the only authority who pay teaching staff by this method. Every other authority simply divide by 13. I have raised this with the local eis and they have raised a grievance with South Lanarkshire, which they denied(obviously) there is now a test case going on. We have been paid 4 weekly since April 2011 and as far as I'm concerned Seth lab will drag this out as long as possible and may end up owing every teacher thousands plus interest.

realteuchtar likes this.
  8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I'm just loving the anticipation of seeing how this one pans out.

If SL does indeed owe teachers pay then it is only right that it is actually paid.

If they don't, then fair enough.

You can bet that there will be checking and double-checking of the payments system.

You can bet that there will be "apportioning of blame".

I do wonder if anyone will "accept responsibility".

You can bet that, when this hits the newspapers, there will be some people out there thinking "bloody teachers, working and expecting to be paid for it".

9. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

There's a very quick way of looking at his, especially if you're top of the scale and work in NL

Check your P60 or payslip (for the last month in the financial year) and check the total amount paid against the National payscale.

If it's short - they owe you money

10. Liviboy

Liviboy Occasional commenter

But be aware of pension contributions.

Our P60s only show pay AFTER pension deductions...

11. P60s don't work out. Hence the reason for finding out the method used to calculate the Sth lan wages then my enquiry to the eis.

12. morrisseyritual

Anyone here from Hamilton with access to a copy of their local paper? Apparently there's an article in it this week about all this.

realteuchtar likes this.