1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does school need to inform JCQ - Access signed off by unqualifed SENCO?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Nealswife, May 20, 2020.

1. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

Should the Exams Officer inform JCQ if Access reports were prepared by SENCO who does not hold the NASENCO Cert?
    All Access reports and Access obtained with JCQ - but qualifications under question. Interesting dilemma for any school to bear in mind.
    Previous JCQ inspectors, gave 'Good' feed back for records, files and reports with assessments - but a question has arisen....years later.

2. BehaviourQueen

BehaviourQueen New commenter

I’ve worked in SEND for over 20 years and don’t have the qualification. Does that mean that I don’t know about SEND?

3. Nealswife

It is what a school is alleging - but I signed off the reports and filed for Access - all successfully so.

I am sure your school respect your work - which is good to know. ;-)

4. Nealswife

Please take care as it is a grey area now...raised and dropped by school - I have been in SEND since 1991....tread with care.

5. BehaviourQueen

That’s appalling. Absolutely appalling.

jlishman2158 and Nealswife like this.
  6. Nealswife

I know but if you have poor managers who don't understand and did not offer training, turned to a battle which I am fighting back! I have M.Ed in SEND as well but they want to tamper...they want the NASENCo....but I signed off the legal reports in good faith - where does that leave them? Investigation by JCQ? There would be public outcry by all past students who did their GCSEs with me....watch this space....as all grey areas.

7. BehaviourQueen

Oh I’m so sorry you’re going through this

Nealswife likes this.
  8. RomfordLEA

RomfordLEA New commenter

I think they’d be more concerned about who undertook the assessments for Form 8. Did they have the relevant qualifications?

9. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

After all of the incessant problems you're having, couldn't you just do the award?

Nealswife likes this.
  10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Did the EO know about the qualifications of the SENCO? Mrs P was an EA, and she did not have access to that sort of information. I think it would have been a breach of confidentiality if she had been told.

Nealswife likes this.
  11. Nealswife

So glad you responded P...greetings to Mrs P. {:0)
    Mr EO is also SMT, who will have been told that my qualification is questionable, and up to school to prove i was eligible - or should not have done them? Is it my responsibility now....? I want to stay with in the law but not compromise the children's GCSEs.
    The forms online state, to be completed by SENCo - but no spec given for who is or is not considered to be a SENCo? It would be a first time perhaps this has arisen?

JCQ did check the Assessors qualifications - I got the LEA to do unbiased assessments - I did the referrals and reports with provision for SEN candidates. All sounds dubious now P..... ( :- O

12. Nealswife

13. Nealswife

I'm old news there now...and don't need it as I will get supply work for a year and tutor SEND.
    They have a nice fresh SENDCO to destroy - she thinks it's a career move...if only!

14. Nealswife

You know what, this has toughened me up more than I expected - and I am grateful for what I have - rest is cast to the wind but for my own knowledge and information, I have to know. Thank you for your support though. :eek:)

15. geminiteach

geminiteach New commenter

I think it depends on what year/s you did this for. JCQ has tightened up the assessor criteria every year for the last few. When I started assessing students certain one-year elements of an MEd qualified teachers to carry out this work. I ended up having to do CPT3A and had NASENCo anyway. Ultimately the Head of Centre is responsible for checking the assessor is suitably qualified, usually the Headteacher.

tall tales and Nealswife like this.
  16. Symingtons

Symingtons New commenter

I was a SENCO over 30 years ago, but not since (& am retired now). However changing goal posts always annoys me, so I had a quick look about this 'NASENCO' Certificate, and here's what I found:

In September 2009 it became law for every new SENCO in a mainstream school to gain the Master’s-level National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator within 3 years of taking up the post.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-award-for-sen-co-ordination-learning-outcomes

Nothing I can see about requiring those in the role pre-2009 having to do so. Perhaps the HT to show where this is required.

Nealswife and jlishman2158 like this.
  17. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

I seem to remember something about a time limit, if you were appointed before date X you don't necessarily need to have the qualification. Not sure - just rings a bell at the back of my mind.

18. Nealswife

19. Nealswife

The assumption is it has to be in the same school, pre 2009....depends on the interpretation though?

20. Nealswife

The Assessor is qualified as required. The SENCO is not.