1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does QTS expire??

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Lsudds, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Lsudds

Lsudds New commenter

I thought my QTS status was safe. I never finished my NQT year as it was awful! No support and a nasty mentor. Anyway...I was called by an agency the other day. I know supply runs out after 5 years but she told me I had to get back into a school or I'd lose my QTS status and be deemed an unqualified teacher because they changed the rules! Is this accurate?!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Doesn't sound like a change to me.

3. Lsudds

Lsudds New commenter

I can't find anything that says the rules have changed! Feel like it's a con to get me to work for them

4. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

QTS never 'expires'.

6. drvs

drvs Star commenter

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It will become increasingly difficult to get a job in teaching once supply work stops being an option. Seombdy might take you on too complete induction if you have done supply recently, but it will not be easier if there is a significant gap. The agency might be wrong on you losing QTS, but their advice to try to complete induction seems wise to me.