1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does presentation at N3/N4 mean automatic pass.

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by Gavster77, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Gavster77

Gavster77 New commenter

Two of my class aren’t on track to complete their coursework for N4 by Easter but my pt is looking for names I’m presenting at N4.
    If I submit the names for presentation now does that mean a pass or if they (both habitual non attendees) do not finish all N4 units can I input at a later date that they failed?

2. uberman

uberman New commenter

Surely they can be presented for any units that they may have completed? And I’m sure that the deadline for entry of unit passes is later than the presentation date, which means that if they do come into school and SMT take them to ‘the Magic Room’ (every school has one of them) then they can enter them as passes at that point.

3. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

Also, if they don't get the AVU, but pass the other N4 units, the hierarchical nature of the units (but do check for your own subject) should mean that they can be entered as a pass for the Nat 3 course award.* Once you've raised the problem with your P.T., it's up to them to decide what is best.

Submitting the kids for presentation for N4 should not mean an automatic pass - unless someone at your school is playing at silly beggars.

If you're worried, why not send your info to your PT in an email, to cover yourself?

'John Smith and Jean Brown should both be N4 level, but attendance issues mean that they're unlikely to complete the qualification. Please advise what course of action you would like me to take?'

*Of course, this I can be harder if you're maths or English - three units plus an AVU instead of just two plus the AVU.

4. Gavster77

Gavster77 New commenter

Thanks all - I know what to do now.

Marisha likes this.
  5. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

Reading between the lines, I think you may be being pressured to pass all your pupils by a manager?

Email the manager and ask “My professional judgment is that “Joe Bloggs” can not in good faith be presented for N3/N4 due to attendance/ lack of work/quality of classwork.
    Are you asking me to present him despite my reservations?”

You want every instruction in writing.