1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does PPA take into account form time?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by san38, Jun 20, 2019.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

I'm on a 0.8 contract, and out of the 4 days and 20 available lessons I'm.being timetabled for 18 which I was ok with as that is 10% PPA. However, I am now being given a tutor group which will add 20mins each morning to my load so the 2 lessons of PPA will no longer =10%. Can I insist that I am either given another free or have my form taken away?
    Many thanks, feeling very frustrated at moment, bsnging my head agsinst SLT brick wall :(

2. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

never been in a school that included tutor time in the calculation.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is supposed to be 10% of your actual teaching time, and registration does not usually count as teaching. I think it becomes a grey area where the teacher has to organise things during registration time, which could count as teaching.

In your case, I am not sure it would be a problem anyway. I am guessing that your periods are an hour each, in which case, including registration on four days, you would have classes for 19 hours and 20 minutes each week. 10% of this is just under the two hours you get. STPCD says "PPA time must be provided in units of not less than half an hour during the school’s timetabled teaching week and must amount to not less than 10% of the teacher’s timetabled teaching time." - it is 10% of teaching time, not 10% of the school's week.

border_walker likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It feels like you're being given quite an increase in workload, but actually you've just been lucky not to have had a form in previous years. Sorry!

5. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks for responses everyone

border_walker likes this.