1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does PGCE gradings affect your job prospects?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Georgia99, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I understand that you are graded on your PGCE in terms of the research project e.g. pass, merit, distinction. Also based on your teaching practice and folders etc as 1-outstanding, 2-good, 3-satisfactory etc...

My uni have told me that grades don't show on our certificates but that our grade will be disclosed in references they provide to potential employers for both the academic and teaching part.

I was wondering whether this could influence a job offer? Would an employer be more likely to take me if I was graded a 1, compared to someone graded a 3 for example?

2. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I understand that you are graded on your PGCE in terms of the research project e.g. pass, merit, distinction. Also based on your teaching practice and folders etc as 1-outstanding, 2-good, 3-satisfactory etc...

My uni have told me that grades don't show on our certificates but that our grade will be disclosed in references they provide to potential employers for both the academic and teaching part.

I was wondering whether this could influence a job offer? Would an employer be more likely to take me if I was graded a 1, compared to someone graded a 3 for example?

3. In general what the uni has stated happens, though at Sussex we do not provide marks for all of the various elements unless we are asked to do so. In references we tend to concentrate on what schools value most - your ability to teach, not your ability to pass assignments. Having said that clearly when I have a student who performs very well in all areas I will say so. I know that it is not common practice, but I also share with my trainees the reference I write, my reason being that if I'm not willing, then I shouldn't be writing things that I am not confident that I can back up.
    In reality, clearly if a person is graded a 1 and the reference is part of the selection procedure (personally I think that references should not be part of the selection criteria but should be confirmatory after a school has made up its mind) the it may influence a decision.
    James

4. Like James, I share the contents of a reference with my PGCE students. We state the likely outcome (bearing in mind that students start to apply for jobs before the course is completed) of the academic award of PGCE (Distinction, Merit etc) but we do not publicly grade the QTS (the 'outstanding'/'good'/'satisfactory' etc is just for internal consumption). Having said that, the comments in the reference will give schools a pretty good idea how good a teacher we think this person is. However, I believe most schools make their decision, then use the reference just to confirm there are no major problems with their choice.