1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does only teaching a full class across the curriculum count towards your NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ncmac, Feb 11, 2012.

1. I have been offered work for one day a week at a primary school, teaching maths and literacy to a group of about a dozen Y6 pupils until May, and then doing similar work with Y4 until the end of the academic year. My contract will, therefore, be for longer than one term.

I am an NQT, and wondered if any of this work could count towards my induction year? Obviously, I wouldn't be able to meet all the standards without full classroom teaching across the curriculum, but if I could start 'chipping away' at the year, that would be good.

2. I have been offered work for one day a week at a primary school, teaching maths and literacy to a group of about a dozen Y6 pupils until May, and then doing similar work with Y4 until the end of the academic year. My contract will, therefore, be for longer than one term.

I am an NQT, and wondered if any of this work could count towards my induction year? Obviously, I wouldn't be able to meet all the standards without full classroom teaching across the curriculum, but if I could start 'chipping away' at the year, that would be good.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The stipulations for being registered as an NQT on Induction are that the intention is to be employing you for at least aterm's length (f/t or p/t), teaching a regular timetable for which you have to plan and assess.
    The work you describe fits the bill, even though the regular timetabl will change; you will still have long periods of teaching and monitoring regular groups. You should thus get a 10% timetable reduction during the day or added on in contract/salary terms . the same goes for PPA time ; includedin the day or paid as extra contract time to be undertaken at home.
    However, if they only employ you until the summer, you won't actually 'bank' any Induction time as the school cannot make a verdict on the first Induction term if you haven't served the equivalent of one f/t school term (about 65 days of working, which is 5 school terms of one day per week.)

4. In short, yes it would qualify for induction - the test is whether you are carrying out the duties of a teacher rather than whether you teach the full curriculum.
    James

5. Thank you very much for this clear advice!

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You can apply for any Mainscale post and they can choose to employ an NQT if they wish. It doesn't have to be a vacancy specifically stating that it's for an NQT or 'NQTs welcome to apply'.
    I completed Induction on supply 9 years ago.
    You don't need a contract post and you don't need a post lasting 4 terms of supervised teaching (presumably you mean 4 terms of a 6 term school year?).
    You need a post (on supply daily rate or contract) that is expected from the outset to last the equivalent of a term's length (based on a 3 term school year). The work, whether p/t or f/t will then be on an Induction basis and you will complete an Induction term if you serve enough time (beyond a term's length if the work is not f/t).
    You can start Induction terms at any point in a school term, completing them on a f/t placement at the same point in the next term.
    You can then do remaining Induction terms at the same school or elsewhere.
    You really should have applied for the supply extension and may still be able to do so. getting a few days or weeks in a school, not on Induction, can lead to further work of the necessary length to complete an Induction term. Without the extension, you are barred from the State 5-16 teaching sector until your secure Induction work.
    If you get a p/t Induction position, you are free to take odd days or weeks of supply teaching elsewhere without needing an extension.