1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Does non-teaching work experience count towards pay scale?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Jebz, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I'm a PGCE Maths student and thought that I would start on M1 in my NQT year however I have been told that my previous non-teaching work experience should count towards the teaching main pay scale.
    I did 4 years of non-teaching work and apparently this should count for 2 years teaching and that I should start on M3.
    Does anyone know if this is right before I start asking schools when I'm offered jobs?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's not quite as simple as that. Some schools/LAs have a policy which recognises certain kinds of pre-teaching work experience (usually directly relevant to teaching) and may pay 1 or more payscale points for it.
    It's not across the board, may not include whatever you did and certainly, my school's policy does not equate 4 years of work with 2 pay points. So it's impossible to generalise and the best you can do is ask after you've been offered the job - but if it means you'd walk away if they didn't pay you (bearing in mind it's by no means certain you'd then be offered a job subsequently that would pay you), say so on the day when you're offered the job.

3. This is entirely up to the employer.
    Schho Teachers Pay and Conditions Document has the following:
    one or more points for years of experience other than employment as a classroom teacher which the relevant body
    considers to be of value to the performance of the classroom
    teacher’s duties;
    The relevant body being the governors of the school.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch and blackdog99, sin ging from the same hymn sheet!

5. sin ging?
    gin sling?

6. Middlemarch

The gin slinging has made me a bit trigger-happy with the space bar!

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

As a PGCE student I happily listened to a union lecture about starting salaries and how pre-teaching experience would be taken into account, along with examples and statistics which meant I should be starting on at least M4, until I applied for my first post-along with 400 others!
    I decided there and then they were living in cloud cuckoo land[​IMG]