1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does Mike Russell have your confidence as Education Secretary?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Freddie92, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

U-Turns and more U-Turns.

Is Mike Russell simply out of his depth? I am unsure just how talented he really is, as he seems to blunder from one mistake to another.

I thought his comment today: "I want to help schools to catch up. I won't blame them" was disgraceful and appalling. I think there must be a great chance he will either fall on his sword or be axed. I would reckon he is the most unpopular Education Secretary since Devolution. Your comments please.

2. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

U-Turns and more U-Turns.

Is Mike Russell simply out of his depth? I am unsure just how talented he really is, as he seems to blunder from one mistake to another.

I thought his comment today: "I want to help schools to catch up. I won't blame them" was disgraceful and appalling. I think there must be a great chance he will either fall on his sword or be axed. I would reckon he is the most unpopular Education Secretary since Devolution. Your comments please.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

How much are the tickets? [​IMG]

4. Difficult. Given the financial climate and the woolly nature of CfE, any Scottish education secretary would need the wisdom of Solomon and the patience of Job. Russell is certainly thought to lack the latter. He does seem blithely unaware of the almost contemptuous contradiction in this statement:
    “The question has always been, ‘Are there one or two schools who have actually just failed to do what they are meant to do?’
    “I want to help them, I don’t want to blame them.
    “So I am adding additional support so that they can catch up with the rest.”
    That said, let us not forget that one of the main problems with the EIS in Scotland is that for too long it was in Labour's back pocket.

5. I remember thinking that Fiona Hyslop was a smarmy, smug, and sly woman who manipulated everything like a typical politician. She now rates far higher in my estimations in comparison with that muppet. Mike Russel falls short in every possible way as an Education Secretary.

6. issor2

issor2 New commenter

Mr Chips would struggle to implement CFE.

7. No, and that's only half the story. He really doesn't give a flying ***** whether he has my confidence or not. The thing is, he's Salmond's man, and as long as Salmond can do no wrong, Mike is perfectly safe where he is.

8. In a word, NO. I don't think he really has a clue, but whether that is down to poor advice from the high heid yins in LA Education Departments or due to the fact that all the latest education policies (CfE being a case in point) can be compared to The Emperor's New Clothes, is yet to be seen.

9. In a word, NO.
    I really don't think he has a clue, but whether that is down to poor advice from those who are supposedly in the know or is simply a case of The Emperor's New Clothes (CfE?), is yet to be seen.

10. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

NO. The problem goes far beyond just him though. He is going to be the 'fall guy' I suspect. This will reflect badly on the SNP and ultimately Salmond. They should have realised that the grandiosely named CfE was a disaster in the making and stopped it in its tracks years ago. The real problem in Scottish Education lies with the SQA - the fact that they are evidently incompetent, expensive, and appear to be accountable to no-one. CfE will no doubt turn out to be a massive cost cutting exercise as far as the SQA is concerned albeit ill-thought through.

11. No his proclamations are that of a bully. Time to go. And if he is an example of what is to come, then I hae ma doots aboot independence. I am speaking here as someone who had an open mind too.

12. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

It reminds me of the video of passengers on the Costa Concordia being reassured that everything was under control and being asked to return to their cabins to relax.
    Those on board could see with their own eyes that things were not okay but the captain of the cruise ship didn't want to admit that he had gone off course.
    CfE was launched, and set on an untested course, seemingly without anyone carrying out a risk assessment. Were there any pilot studies conducted to test whether ideas gleaned from other, better funded, education systems could be applied successfully to Scottish education?
    Unfortunately, like any large cruise ship, a CfE could take a long time to turn around and, despite the shiny exterior and positive sales PR, no-one is too sure about the route or final destination.
    Perhaps the politicians and architects of a CfE have a Plan B to hand if the worst happens and it all turns out to be a disaster in the making but I have yet to spot anything remotely resembling an educational lifeboat.

13. I agree wholeheartedly with you,gnulinux. This garbage was started by Labour and should have been dumped by the SNP. As far as MR is concerned, there is no way I would ask for his "help" although I am not at all confident about delivering this so-called"curriculum." I am a supporter of the SNP but I do not believe that MR is the right person for the post of Education Secretary. He is abrasive , bullying and certainly does not listen to us,the teachers on the frontline, who are being expected to move forward with this. As other contributors have said, it will be difficult to find a good Education Secretary.
    I have absolutely no confidence in this man!!!

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I totally agree with your post. Is the lifeboat (fall back from disaster) perhaps the Intermediate courses?

15. And that's the crux of the issue right there. Mikey is there for the duration, as long as Salmond knows he can rely on teachers to vote for independence, no matter what. For this reason, the flap about CfE will not become any kind of election issue. It will be dwarfed and even silenced in due course by the far greater debate to come.

16. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

"Teachers have been warning of impending disaster for months, not because they are conservatively opposed to the reformed exams and courses, but because they have worked extremely hard to make them work. If warnings from teachers had been heeded, none of this mess would have happened. But the leadership class in Scottish education - and the bullying and arrogant education minister - seem to believe that reform is only real if it is imposed from above."

Letter from LP - The Guardian - Thursday 17 August 2000.

12 years on and the Leadership Class in Scottish Education - term coined by Walter Humes seem to have learned nothing.

17. I think the sentiment is probably media-driven and more apparent than real. Nevertheless, it always amuses me when obesity in America is mocked here. I want to ask, haven't you noticed the fat in any British high street recently?
    Ah, bless, Fred, your heart's in the right place, which is more than I can say for the UK govt and policy-makers' hearts lo these past few decades. This country has lost sight of where its real interests and friends lie---hint: NOT in Europe. There is huge goodwill towards the "Old Country" in Canada and the US, all blithely ignored in favour of kowtowing to Europe. What exactly has Europe done for you lately?
    Exactly. Unfortunately, we'll all soon experience the answer to this question. It's not going to be easy, or pretty.

18. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

As the resident of a federation, I find the whole Scottish ?independence? thing weird. We have states, with certain powers, and then we have the Commonwealth of Australia, with certain other powers. The states came first and therefore created the Commonwealth, whose powers are listed in the Constitution, while the states have everything that is not listed. There are often disputes between the different levels of government, but by and large it works well. I have similar feelings re Ireland: what difference does it make if you are a member of the EU through Eire or through the UK?

19. Michael.Russell.msp@scottish.parliament.uk
    Dear Mr Russell,
    I was
    wondering whether the Scottish Government have any plans to survey
    nursery, primary and secondary teachers on Curriculum for Excellence and
    its implementation. It would seem to me that to gain a true and honest
    picture of the current state of affairs in Scottish education, it would
    be helpful to ask the practitioners who are working with it. That is, it
    would be helpful if you are truly interested in what is actually
    happening in Scottish schools.