1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does maternity leave count to move up an increment?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sarah9, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I will be going on maternity leave at the end of the Autumn term, hope to put down my due date of 27 Dec. From what I gather you need to work for 26 weeks in a year to be able to move up an increment, while I would only be working for about 17 weeks including holidays, so presumably would have to go back to work at the end of mat leave to make up to the minimum 26 weeks or else go back next Sept on same pay point.
    Then it occured to me that since you still pay pension contributions, tax on mat pay etc and are still in 'employment' during mat leave, perhaps by some stroke of luck maternity leave weeks do count towards the 26 weeks needed to move up an increment? Does anyone know the answer please?
    Sorry for unclear explanation, blame the pregnancy brain!

2. Hello,
    I will be going on maternity leave at the end of the Autumn term, hope to put down my due date of 27 Dec. From what I gather you need to work for 26 weeks in a year to be able to move up an increment, while I would only be working for about 17 weeks including holidays, so presumably would have to go back to work at the end of mat leave to make up to the minimum 26 weeks or else go back next Sept on same pay point.
    Then it occured to me that since you still pay pension contributions, tax on mat pay etc and are still in 'employment' during mat leave, perhaps by some stroke of luck maternity leave weeks do count towards the 26 weeks needed to move up an increment? Does anyone know the answer please?
    Sorry for unclear explanation, blame the pregnancy brain!

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Weeks on paid holiday and on paid sick pay count towards the 26 required for pay progression. You are still employed when on ML (the first 6 months, anyway) so should progress as per usual in the following school year.
    If you are intending to return to work in September 2012, you would be well advised to actually nominate the first day of the summer break 2012 as your 'return' to work as you would then go back on full pay for the holiday period. Some go back in the last week or so of term in July but it's not necessary if all you wish to achieve is full pay in the holidays.

4. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Those on ML in their Induction year can actually complete Induction at the end of the original NQT yearif they were meeting the standards before they went on ML.

5. Thanks so much Jubilee, that is really helpful and great news. I will probably go back the last week of July term to give me a chance to start packing boxes to move classrooms- since I have had to move rooms for 5 years running I can't see next year being any different lol.