1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does location have an effect on interviewers?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Butterflychic, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    I've been wondering this for a while, but with the current job climate I assumed many were doing the same thing.
    I am currently living in the north, applying for jobs down south as I want to move back. Is stating my current address as somewhere up north having an impact on employers located down south? Is this a hinderance?
    Thanks

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not if your application contains a phrase like 'I wish to relocate to...' and then a sentence about why you're applying to this particular school.
    To be honest, I've always assumed, when getting applications from further afield, that the person concerned wishes to (or is happy to) relocate. Why should it prevent me shortlisting them?

3. Hi,

I'm currently the opposite. I'm from the North, living in the South and applying for jobs back home in the North. I have applied for 4 jobs and been short listed and invited for interview for all 4. So I don't believe it has any affect on their decision to short list anyone. It is quite expensive though to keep trecking up and down the country - and also quite exhausting. I also didn't realize until I started this that some schools don't pay expenses. Out of the 3 interviews I have currently attended only 1 has paid my expenses. Makes the whole process even more stressful when you don't really have that £100 a trip... But now I'm just feeling sorry for myself....

Hope that it is of some help

4. Thats great thanks! Yeah I assumed the interviewers would know, but then you also hope they know that you're not just applying for every job in the country.
    Catherine, do you put in your application a sentence about wanting to relcoate or do you just leave it? Or anything about being unable to visit the school prior to applying? Well done on your interviews btw!