1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does it matter which university/training provider I attend for my PGCE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by S_Borealis, Jan 11, 2019.

1. S_Borealis

S_Borealis New commenter

Hi all,

I'm currently filling in my UCAS options and I'm wondering how much difference it will make for my future employment prospects where I get my PGCE.

The reason I ask is that I would like to attend the University of Hull. There are a number of personal reasons for this; however, I recognise that it's not the best university in the world and as far as I know not recognised as being an amazing teacher training college either. I happen to like the university and the campus, and I had a good feeling about it when I went to look around.

I am reasonably confident that with my work/teaching experience and undergraduate/postgraduate degrees I can apply more or less anywhere (I'm also applying to Cambridge and either Sussex or Southampton).

At the end of the day you get a PGCE and QTS, but will the university I attend sully my chances of getting some of the better teaching jobs upon qualification?

Thanks all,

SB

2. htaylor16

htaylor16 New commenter

Unless you’re expecting to get a job at Eton (and they’ll expect a 1st class honours degree from Oxbridge) then no

3. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

It makes no difference in terms of "name recognition" apart from the quality of the provision and catchment schools that will have an indirect effect. All that matters is the pgce, qts and induction year so you are recognized as a qualified teacher. Also the best teacher training colleges (now unis) were not traditional universities anyway.

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

We have had this one before. No, not from that perspective - it makes no difference. However, 70% of my trainees get jobs in my partnership schools. So if you intend to live and work in the area, train in that area. If you intend to move then train wherever you like.

minnie me and Stiltskin like this.
  5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

We live in a status society so yes where you go does matters- Cambridge has a strong "brand " particularly in future if you want to work overseas.. otherwise look at the area and where you want to work as Mr Media states.

6. 1FineDay

1FineDay New commenter

It doesn't matter at all once you have QTS.

Go to the university where you will be most comfortable and focus on getting grade 1s for your teacher standards during your PGCE. Your performance during your PGCE will be looked at when trying to secure your first NQT post. Reports from placement schools, grades for teacher standards (1s ideally, but 2s are good as well) and any other evidence you can present to show you have worked well during the training year.

If you've got your PGCE and QTS, you're as qualified as the next person. Selection criteria then turns to how capable you are as a practitioner, not how academically capable you are. There is a man with a PHD in the English department at my school, and he is considered incompetent because of behaviour management issues.

jarndyce likes this.