1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does it get any easier?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by benc776, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm a Science NQT. I started in January, and passed my first term. I have found my first term challenging to say the least. I have struggled with the workload and in the week I have no free time from marking and planning. On the weekends I sometimes manage to have a day off. Behavior management has also been difficult for me, with the bottom sets that I teach.

I don't have a tutor group and am on the standard 90% NQT timetable. The school I teach in at the moment is rated as outstanding, with behavior rated as excellent. The other teachers and the H of D are supportive. I've tried a lot of the behavior management techniques but I just don't think I'm cut out for it. It's a maternity cover post and I leave in the summer.

I am finding it really tough at the moment, and as schools go, I don't think I'll find a nicer one to work in. That with the additional workload next year and likely tutor responsibilities, I'm not sure whether to stay in teaching or if a career change is the best option.

Any opinions/advice would be welcome!

Thanks.

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I was a primary NQT last year and, in my experience, it definitely gets better! My first time was odd, definitely, as I tried to get to grips with all the planning, assessing, behaviour and other things expected of me as a full time teacher. I'm in my second year now, and it's a lot, lot better! I can re-use plans and resources, have more of an idea of expectations of me and the pupils and can just generally organise my time better.
    Don't despair! Stick it out and see how you're getting on this time next year. The first term and year are always going to be tough.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It definitely does get both easier and better. I promise.

My first term, also in a good school, I had one class where 8 of the boys would flatly refuse to sit on their chair, they simply sat on their desk with their feet on the chair. Try as I might I couldn't get them shifted without calling for senior staff. Was dreadful. They were also incredibly rude and would swear in the classroom. Now I look back and wonder why on earth I let them do that. I didn't feel I was letting them at the time, obviously.
    I also remember the days of nothing but planning and marking. Drove me nuts. Once I got that sorted, I then took on responsibilities so still have no evenings and usually just one weekend free. Oh well, at least there is variety now!

Seriously, it does get a lot easier and, as it does so, it gets more enjoyable. You will find next term is easier than this and next year even more so. Staff are supportive and know how awful it is being a new teacher and being in your first year. Do stay there next year if you can, you might well get to do so.

Don't give up...give it another year or so first.

4. Yes it <u>definately</u> gets easier and is SO worth it to finally have your own class properly (i.e to not be an NQT). You can re-use and tweak things as you go, can make your own decisions and best of all things finally click into place and you'll find yourself not worrying about trivial things that seemed so huge in your NQT year.
    You will also have a hell of a lot more confidence and as minnieminx said you'll wonder why you let kids get away with things. Even though you're following behaviour policies, in a lot of ways it's just pure confidence that makes the difference and that will come with time. They'll see that you're new and inexperienced so are trying it on.
    I was found crying in a cupboard and felt that I didn't do anything but work in my NQT year!! But your work/life balance becomes more even once you've got it out of the way.
    Don't give up!